BBO Discussion Forums: More favourites: RECIPES - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

More favourites: RECIPES please share

#1 User is offline   42 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Music, Tango Argentino, bridge, cooking, languages, etc. :)

Posted 2006-April-13, 09:27

Easter is near....
What is your best recipe for a lamb leg? I will simply lard it with garlic, roast it from all sides, use a lot of herbs like rosmary and thyme, onions, pepper and salt, later sherry, put it into the oven and wait 1,5 - 2 hrs (or if I get up early enough 6 hrs while it "cooks" by 80°C).
For the rest I am not yet sure, therefore this thread B)
Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others. (Groucho Marx)

#2 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2006-April-13, 09:52

The is the most impressive recipe that I know for lamb. It turns out VERY well. I don't recommend trying it unless your fairly experienced with Indian recipes: In particular, you want practice making the fired onions

1 4-5 pound leg of lamb trimmed of all fat
10 quarter sized slices of fresh ginger
6 large cloves of garlic peeled
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 cup nonfat plain yogurt whisked
1 tablespoon garam masala
1.5 teaspoons salt
3 large onions cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 melted ghee or peanut oil
6-8 whole dried chilis
1/4 shelled almonds
3 bay leaves
1 teaspoon black cumin seeds
2 cups water
1/2 teaspoon saffron threeads soakin in 1/2 cup milk for 30 minutes
2-3 drops screwpine essence (ruh kewra)
1/4 cilantro finely chooped
4-6 silver leaves
1/4 thinly sliced almonds and pistachios

1. Carefully trim the wite membrane from the surface of the meat. Prick the meat all over with a long pronged barbeque fork. Make a series of 2 inch deep cuts 2 inches apart over the entire sruface of the meat. Place meat in a non-reactive pan.

2. Process 6 silves of ginger and the garlic in a food processor. Ad lemon juice. yogurt, garma masala, and salt. Process until smooth. Transfer to the lamb and rub well over the surface of the meat, making sure that it enters the cuts. Cover with platic wrap and marinade between 4 and 48 hours.

3. Toss the onions with the sugar. Heat the ghee in a large non-stick wok over medium high heat. Cook the sugar coated onions until crispy and golden (about 12 minutes) Transfer to paper towels to drain using a slotted spatula. Use the same oil to cook the chili peppers, stirring, until crispy and browned (about 1 minute). Transfer to tpaper towels. Remove all but 1 tablespoon oil from the wok.

4, Use a food processor to process half of the fired onions, the remaining 4 slices of ginger, 2 cloves of garlic, the almonds and red chili peppers. Make a smooth paste.

5. Heat the remain 1 tablespoon of ghee. Stir in bay leaves and cumins seeds. Cook for 30 seconds. Add the onion almond paste and cook over medium heat until the ghee separates to the sides (about 5 minutes)

6. Add the marinated lamb (leaving the marinade behind) and cook - turning as needed - until well browned on all sides (about 1 hour). Add the marinade and the water and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium low, cover the pan, and simmer until the lamb is soft and tender (1.5 - 2 hours) Check after 1.5 hours then ever 10 minutes)

7. Mix in the saffron milk, screwpine essence, and colantro. Continue to simmer until the sauce is thick and fragrent (about 20 minutes)

8. transfer to a serving platter, garnish with silver leaves, reserved friend onions, and the almond and pistachio slices. Server hot.
Alderaan delenda est

#3 User is offline   Walddk 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket

Posted 2006-April-13, 09:53

I know how to make TWO hotdogs. Is that of any help? B) I can also boil 4 eggs without burning my fingers (too much)!

Roland
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice

#4 User is offline   keylime 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: FD TEAM
  • Interests:Motorsports, cricket, disc golf, and of course - bridge. :-)

Posted 2006-April-13, 10:26

By very loud demand, my recipe for my namesake, key lime pie (an Easter tradition in the southern United States):

Ingredients for Keylime's key lime pie (family recipe):

1/2 cup fresh lime juice (3 to 4 limes)

4 teaspoons grated lime zest

4 egg yolks

1 - 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk

11 graham crackers

3 tablespoons granulated sugar

5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

To prepare beforehand, you'll want to remove the lime zest from whole limes. Then I cut the limes in half and squeeze out the juice without the pits. I also prefer to chill the juice; this maintains the tang of the keylime.

I also mince up the graham crackers in a food processor or blender then melt the butter GENTLY. Fast melting the butter makes it lose its consistency.

Cooking Procedure:

1. Gently whish the egg yolks and lime zest together in a bowl until the mix has a distinct shade of light green.

2. I then take the milk first and incorporate that into the mix, then do the same with our chilled juice and set aside at room temperature. This thickens it up nicely.

3. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

4. Take the graham cracker crumbs and sugar and in a separate bowl add the butter and stir. Many use a metal fork but I use a forked wooden spoon for this.

6. Pour this mixture into a 9-inch pie pan and press over the bottom and up the sides of the pan. Use the bottom of a measuring cup to form a firm crust on the bottom of the pie pan. This compacts the crust for proper baking.

7. Bake on the center rack for about 15 minutes until the crust is lightly brown, remove and let cool to room temperature. When taking it out of the oven GO SLOWLY. Also make sure that it's sitting on a spot that is even temp'ed.

8. Pour the lime filling into crust, spread evenly, and then bake for 15 minutes until the center sets, but still jiggles when shaken.

9. Remove from oven and cool to room temperature.

10. Refrigerate for at least three hours until well chilled.

Top it with a whipped cream or a meringue. Enjoy!

BTW: I vote for "key lime pie" under my moniker instead of "mee pok". What the heck is "mee pok"? It's all about the dessert baby!!
"Champions aren't made in gyms, champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. " - M. Ali

#5 User is offline   joshs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-April-13, 10:33

I was hoping for keylime's keylime pie recipe! Thanks! I love keylime pie B)

#6 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8

Posted 2006-April-13, 10:36

We should all have to post the recipe for whatever food appears beneath our name when we post B)

Of course first someone better tell me what sole veronique is. Too bad, I used to have something tastier.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#7 User is online   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2006-April-13, 10:46

hrothgar, on Apr 13 2006, 08:52 AM, said:

The is the most impressive recipe that I know for lamb.  It turns out VERY well.  I don't recommend trying it unless your fairly experienced with Indian recipes:  In particular, you want practice making the fired onions

Richard are you telling us youre funny, smart, talented AND you cook?!! B)

#8 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2006-April-13, 10:48

jillybean2, on Apr 13 2006, 07:46 PM, said:

Richard are you telling us youre funny, smart, talented AND you cook?!! B)

I'm a decent enough cook (though I'm more known for my brewing)

I can't bake to save my life...
Alderaan delenda est

#9 User is offline   keylime 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-April-13, 11:23

Part 2 of Easter Dinner:

To show everyone that I am not a one-trick pony, below is my ham dish for Easter:

Baked Bourbon Glazed Ham

To serve 12 to 14:
1 (12 to 14 lb.) smoked ham, processed, precooked variety
3/4 c. bourbon whiskey
2 c. dark brown sugar
1 tbsp. dry mustard
1/4 c. whole cloves
2 navel oranges, peeled & sectioned

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Place the ham fat side up on a rack set in a shallow roasting pan large enough to hold the ham comfortably. Bake in the middle of the oven, without basting, for two hours, or until the meat can be easily pierced with a fork. For greater cooking certainty, insert a meat thermometer in the fleshiest part of the ham before baking it. It should register between 130 and 140 degrees when the ham is done. When the ham is cool enough to handle comfortably, cut away the rind with a large, sharp knife. Then score the ham by cutting deeply through the fat until you reach the meat, making the incisions 1/2 inch apart lengthwise and crosswise. Return the ham to the rack in the pan and raise the oven heat to 450 degrees. With a pastry brush, paint the ham on all sides with 1/2 cup of the whisky. Then combine the sugar and mustard and 1/4 cup of whiskey, and pat the mixture firmly into the scored fat. Stud the fat at the intersections or in the center of each diamond with a whole clove, and arrange the orange sections as decoratively as you can on the top of the ham with toothpicks or small skewers to secure them. Baste lightly with the drippings on the bottom of the pan and bake the ham undisturbed in the hot oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the sugar has melted and formed a brilliant glaze. I use oranges and keylimes of course for the slight acidic taste.
"Champions aren't made in gyms, champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. " - M. Ali

#10 User is offline   keylime 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-April-13, 11:28

Anyone want my bacon and cheese green bean casserole recipe to tie it all together? :-)

#11 User is offline   Badmonster 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-April-13, 11:33

I have to post to find out what my food is so I can post what my food is. But what if posting my food means next time I post I'm a different food? Then this will be a wasted post.
http://badmonsters.blogspot.com probably will not change your life.

#12 User is offline   Elianna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-April-13, 11:46

Badmonster, on Apr 13 2006, 09:33 AM, said:

I have to post to find out what my food is so I can post what my food is. But what if posting my food means next time I post I'm a different food? Then this will be a wasted post.

Creme Brulee is extremely tastey. It's kind of like this coffee flavored pudding-like desert, with alcohol usually. It's set on fire, and then served. :) (You eat AFTER the fire goes out, of course)
My addiction to Mario Bros #3 has come back!

#13 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-April-13, 11:56

Elianna, on Apr 13 2006, 12:46 PM, said:

I have to post to find out what my food is so I can post what my food is. But what if posting my food means next time I post I'm a different  food? Then this will be a wasted post.

Creme Brulee is extremely tastey. It's kind of like this coffee flavored pudding-like desert, with alcohol usually. It's set on fire, and then served. :) (You eat AFTER the fire goes out, of course)

Maybe in Quebec only, but Crème brulée here is just a custard flan with some sugar on top melted and crystallized with a flame so that it makes a nice crunchy caramelized topping.....
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#14 User is offline   Badmonster 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-April-13, 13:34

Fig Creme Brulee

Equiptment:
Knife
Cutting Board
Measuring cup
Measuring spoons
Mixing Bowl
Wisk
Saucepan
Sieve
4 Ramekins
Blowtorch

Ingredients:
5 large egg yolks
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 vanilla bean, halved lengthwise
2 cups heavy cream
1 1/2 cups diced Mission Figs
3 tablespoons turbinado sugar such as Sugar in the Raw

Process:

Preheat oven to 325°F.
Whisk together yolks, granulated sugar, and salt in a bowl until combined well. Using tip of a knife, scrape seeds from vanilla bean into cream in a 2-quart saucepan, then add pod. Heat over moderate heat until hot but not boiling. Discard pod and add cream to egg mixture in a slow stream, whisking until combined.

Spoon 1/4 cup figs into each ramekin. Pour custard through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl, then ladle over fig. Arrange ramekins in a roasting pan and bake in a hot water bath in middle of oven until custards are just set, 35 to 40 minutes. Transfer custards with tongs to a rack to cool, then chill, uncovered, at least 4 hours.

Preheat broiler.

Sprinkle turbinado sugar evenly over custards and use blowtorch to carmelize.
http://badmonsters.blogspot.com probably will not change your life.

#15 User is offline   Walddk 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket

Posted 2006-April-13, 15:47

Since Karen (macaw) is too modest to bring it forward herself, I will post a cake recipe from the late 50's she sent to me some time ago:

Orange Chiffon Cake:
6 large eggs, separated plus 1 additional egg white

2 1/4 cups (225 grams) sifted cake flour

1 1/2 cups (300 grams) superfine white (castor) sugar

1 tablespoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup (120 ml) vegetable oil or safflower oil

3/4 cup (180 ml) freshly squeezed orange juice (2 - 3 large Navel Oranges)

2 tablespoons (10 grams) orange zest

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar

Note: To make superfine sugar, process 1 1/2 cups (300 grams) of granulated white sugar in your food processor for about 30 seconds or until finely ground. Superfine sugar is used as it dissolves easier in the batter.

Orange Zest - The orange outer rind of the orange that contains the fruit's flavor and perfume.

Cream of tartar is tartaric acid and is a fine white crystalline acid salt which is a by-product of the wine-making industry. It is used in the whipping of egg whites to stabilize them and allow them to reach maximum volume.

Separate the eggs and place the whites in one bowl and the yolks in another. Cover with plastic wrap and bring them to room temperature (about 30 minutes).

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (170 degrees C) and have ready a 10 inch (25 cm) two piece tube pan (ungreased).

In the bowl of your electric mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, place the flour, sugar (minus 3 tablespoons (42 grams)), baking powder, and salt. Beat until combined. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add the egg yolks, oil, orange juice, orange zest, and vanilla extract. Beat about one minute or until smooth.

In a separate bowl, with the whisk attachment, beat the egg whites until foamy. Add the cream of tartar and continue to beat until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in the remaining 3 tablespoons (42 grams) of sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. With a large rubber spatula or wire whisk, gently fold the egg whites into the batter just until blended (being careful not to deflate the batter).

Pour the batter into the ungreased tube pan and bake for about 55 to 60 minutes, or until a wooden skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. (When lightly pressed the cake will spring back). Immediately upon removing the cake from the oven invert the pan and place on a bottle or flat surface so it is suspended over the counter. Let the cake cool completely before removing from pan (about 1 1/2 - 2 hours).

To remove the cake from the pan, run a long metal spatula around the inside of the tube pan and center core. Invert onto a greased wire rack.

Can store in an airtight container for a few days at room temperature or for about a week in the refrigerator. This cake can also be frozen for a couple of months.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice

#16 User is offline   macaw 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows

Posted 2006-April-13, 17:07

Rich and Creamy Lowfat Vegan Alfredo

1 pkg lowfat silken tofu (this ingredient cannot be subsituted!!)
3 tablespoons margarine, added after heating
1/4 cup vegan soy parmesan (recipe to make this follows)
veggie broth
salt and pepper to taste (I also add nutmeg)
cooked rotini, or your favorite pasta

Blend all ingredients, adding enough broth to make a smooth and creamy consistency, and heat gently. Serve over pasta with one scant quarter cup per person.

Soy parmesan recipe:

1/4 cup toasted sesame seeds
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
1/2 teaspoon salt

Toss all in a food processer or blender until the sesame seeds are completely ground up. It's delicious, guilt free, and milk free. Make up a bunch in advance and keep it in the freezer so the oils in the sesame seeds don't go rancid. This makes enough for 3 batches of this Alfredo recipe (I usually double this so it lasts longer).

Variations:

Spinach Alfredo - add one 10 ounce package of frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained, after blending. Adding it before blending makes it look like green slime; taste would be the same but getting past appearance may be difficult!

Tomato Alfredo - substitue low-sodium V-8 for veggie broth, add tomato paste to taste. "My vitamin hating, junk food loving son pronounced this "a keeper."

Other additions:

chopped garlic
sauteed mushrooms
rehydrated sundried tomatoes (blended with other ingredients)
onions
any other steamed vegetables for alfredo primavera (add after heating the sauce, veggies heated and drained in another pan)

I think this is one you can experiment with a lot.

#17 User is offline   Rain 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-April-13, 17:22

I use www.grubhub.com
Lotsa favourite recipes there. :D
"More and more these days I find myself pondering how to reconcile my net income with my gross habits."

John Nelson.

#18 User is offline   jchiu 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-May-06, 02:04

Al_U_Card, on Apr 13 2006, 05:56 PM, said:

Elianna, on Apr 13 2006, 12:46 PM, said:

I have to post to find out what my food is so I can post what my food is. But what if posting my food means next time I post I'm a different  food? Then this will be a wasted post.

Maybe in Quebec only, but Crème brulée here is just a custard flan with some sugar on top melted and crystallized with a flame so that it makes a nice crunchy caramelized topping.....

Delicious, my favorite dessert by far! I've had Crème brulée in at least a half dozen cities on the east coast, in at least a dozen different restaurants. There are variations in the recipe, but the most common is a smooth egg-based custard made with noticable amounts of rum, topped with caramelized sugar, and served in a short, round cylindrical dish.

Mentioning a "coffee flavor" makes me think of a hybrid dessert that would ensure that I would skip dinner more often than not. Rather than coffee, I would certainly love to have the flowery, sweet muscat flavor of a premium first flush Darjeeling in place of the rum. I'm getting hungry just thinking about the possibilities!

Remark. Is it possible to get my food "signature" changed to Crème brulée?

#19 User is offline   Deanrover 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-May-06, 07:33

I cooked enough for about a dozen portions, but I will present the recipe as cooked for 4.

Firstly, I made the green curry paste. Most people will just buy the paste, which is perfectly fine, but this time I made it fresh.

Posted Image

Ingredients (From top centre plate, clockwise):

1/4 of a cup of chopped garlic
10 hot green chillies (the little ones), unplugged.
3 table spoons of chopped challots (alt. onions)
1/2 teaspoon of cumin
Chopped coriander roots, 1/2 teaspoon lime rind, 1 teaspoon galangal (alt. lemongrass), 1/4 teaspoon pepper
5 unplugged, deseeded Jalapeno chillies (preferably green)
2 tablespoons of lemongrass

You should use teaspoon of shrimp paste too, but I substitued with soy sauce.

Get all these ingredients together and grind them witha mortar and pestle. Alternatively use a food processor to get it into a paste, which should look something like:

Posted Image

Now, onto the curry.

Posted Image

You will need:

250g chicken breast
Some combination of Coconut Cream/Coconut Milk/Milk adding up to 1.25 litres
1 large Aubergine
4 Jalapeno Chillies (Pref. Green)
4 tablespoons of thai fish sauce (alt. soy sauce)
1 tablespoon of sugar
Basil
The juice from the lime whose rind you used for the paste

Heat 500 ml of coconut cream (I used coconut milk) until it is boiling heavily

Add the curry paste and stir well, it should be nice and fragrant

Add the chicken and boil until cooked

Add 750 ml coconut milk (I used soy milk), the fish/soy sauce and the sugar, stir well.

Chop up the Eggplant into bitesizes, and add to the mix.

Boil for about 4 minutes - but be careful! Too little and it will be flavourless, too much and it will be soft. You will just have to use your judgement to see what amount of time is right. It shuld look something like:

Posted Image

I now like to leave the curry off the heat for an hour. I find this lets the various flavours infuse bet, leading to a tastier curry.

Meanwhile you should be cooking some carbs to accompany the curry. Rice is the norm, but I find couscous goes great. A dutiful host will provide his guests with an alternative:

Posted Image

Bring the soup back to the boil, add the chillies (deseeded and chopped), lime juice and basil.

Serve the rice/couscous one a plate, with a generous portion of curry in an accompanying bowl.

Posted Image

A fine English ale does go rather splendily with the dish.

Posted Image

#20 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2006-May-06, 07:44

I've always had great results with this recipe

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/cda/recipe...X6-CARD,00.html
Alderaan delenda est