• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Games

#1 Guest_Jlall_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 2006-March-06, 16:03

What non bridge games do you guys play?

I admit I'm a bit of a junkie. I grew up with card/board games, branched out to computer games but got so addicted that I pretty much had to give them up.

I generally become obsessed with any new game I start, the current one being tactics (www.tacticsarena.com). It's like chess except you get to pick your own formation and there is an element of randomness (blocking) that makes things exciting. My best game is probably risk. I used to play all the time and even ran a league. In games that did not include alliances (so I didn't get ganged up on) I was hard to beat. Before that I played spades and hearts on yahoo all the time.

I love poker now but not really because of the game itself, but because of the action. I also play barbu...

I think that about completes the list! And people think I'm not productive... :)

#2 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2006-March-06, 16:15

Three favorite games outside of bridge are:

World of Warcraft
Settlers of Catan
Star Fleet Battles
Alderaan delenda est

#3 Guest_Jlall_*

Posted 2006-March-06, 16:17

Everyone seems to play WoW. I'm not going to touch it or I will be playing it 12 hours a day, no doubt :)

#4 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2006-March-06, 16:23

Let us not forget Rotisserie Baseball. Drafts are coming up in a few weeks. Pitchers and Catchers have reported. :).

#5 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2006-March-06, 16:27

Years and years ago, I used to play Axis and Allies. It was particularly frustrating at the end, for one reason. Curious if anyone knows the answer to this.

I decided to attempt an invasion through Gibraltar. The cost of entering Spain was calculated into the attack. I tried this about 20 times as a simulation (no computers -- just did it) and found this attack unstoppable. Was this a fluke or real? I find it odd, admittedly, that I still wonder about this. But, once I figured this attack out, no one wanted to play again.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#6 User is offline   Rain 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-March-06, 17:01

Master of Magic
"More and more these days I find myself pondering how to reconcile my net income with my gross habits."

John Nelson.

#7 User is offline   Elianna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-March-06, 17:17

Backgammon
Various board games, my current favorites being:
Alhambra
Citadels
Killer Bunnies and the Quest for the Magic Carrot
My addiction to Mario Bros #3 has come back!

#8 User is offline   DrTodd13 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-March-06, 19:21

Backgammon
Chess
Arimaa
Sudoku (recently)
Go

Computer Games
--------------------
Rise of Nations
Age of Kings
Mechwarrior 4
MS Flight Sim

#9 User is offline   Sigi_BC84 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2006-March-06, 19:42

I really saw myself speaking when reading Justin's post (except for maybe the "hard to beat" bit ;-). I gave up several games already because of addiction and being overwhelmed, sort of.

On the computer, my absolute, probably never to be surpassed, favourite is Dungeon Master. If you are into computer games and don't know this one, get a week off work and give it a try. Google for "Dungeon Master" and you'll find the encyclopaedia site which has got all the info (mind you it's a really old game but there's no comparison in terms of excitement and fun, none).

In real life I was totally into "Magic: The Gathering" with a bunch of friends, but gave that up because I didn't want to invest the time and money anymore. Anyway playing MTG was one of the best experiences in my life concerning games.

I also like other card games such as the German "Doppelkopf" and "Skat" but Bridge is by far the most interesting of all card games. Never got the hang of Chess, too hard for me and the games are too long. Haven't tried Go seriously although people keep trying to talk me into it.

Richard has mentioned "Settlers of Catan" which is a German game actually ("Die Siedler von Catan"), so no surprise I'm playing that as well (we got really competetive, setting up a small league and all; only the competitive types could bear to play with us, the others were pissed off really quickly by our attitude, those wimps... ;-)

At last I can recommend "Robo Rally" which has been rereleased shortly -- it's sort of tough to find opponents since the game is too complicated for many but I guess this won't be a big problem for the audience here :-).

Justin, if you care for another mindf*ck try the game "Set" in case you don't know it yet. Awesome.

--Sigi

#10 User is offline   joshs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-March-06, 19:43

Tiddlywinks.

#11 User is offline   Echognome 

• Deipnosophist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-March-06, 21:26

When not playing bridge or working, I'm usually coaching or playing football. I have to call it American Football over here. March-Early Sept I'm playing, October-March I'm coaching. I get very few Sundays off!

I like card games of all sorts. Before I learned bridge, I played Hearts, Spades, Euchre, Pinochle, Big 2's, and Poker. I've recently learned Barbu and enjoy that as well. I still think Bridge is the best card game.
"Half the people you know are below average." - Steven Wright

#12 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2006-March-06, 21:54

Board game -- diplomacy... best to play with wicked competitive people
and of course, chess.
--Ben--

#13 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2006-March-07, 03:26

Trivial Pursuit.
Backgammon.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#14 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-March-07, 08:50

I play quite a bit of go. Simply the best game out there -- if there wasn't this card game combining analytical, psychological and partnership skills....

As a go friend pointed out to me: "Bridge is the only game we sometimes lose go players to."

Go and bridge is a completely different world, by the way, I could spent ages discussing how so and why.

Arend
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#15 Guest_Jlall_*

Posted 2006-March-07, 09:06

cherdano, on Mar 7 2006, 09:50 AM, said:

I play quite a bit of go. Simply the best game out there -- if there wasn't this card game combining analytical, psychological and partnership skills....

As a go friend pointed out to me: "Bridge is the only game we sometimes lose go players to."

Go and bridge is a completely different world, by the way, I could spent ages discussing how so and why.

Arend

A friend of mine, Scott Waldron, former king of bridge and once top 10 in the world junior pairs has given up bridge to play go, so you can tell your friend we lost players to go too ;)

#16 User is offline   luis 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-March-07, 09:20

I played chess when I was a kid, now I play only from time to time.
Poker is nice.
Love Blackjack and Craps
About PC games I love Civilization
A popular card game here in Argentina is called "Truco" and I like it
The legend of the black octogon.

#17 User is offline   Sigi_BC84 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2006-March-07, 09:29

cherdano, on Mar 7 2006, 03:50 PM, said:

I'd be interested to hear some more.

--Sigi

#18 User is offline   Walddk 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket

Posted 2006-March-07, 10:03

Cricket when I was younger; still umpiring though, and glued to the telly every time there is cricket on. I tell everyone who cares to listen (also those who do not):

God could have created a better berry than strawberry, but he did not. And God could have created a better game than bridge, but he did not!

Cricket is life; the rest is mere details.

Roland
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice

#19 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2006-July-04, 20:43

I used to play Diplomacy, and got up to about 300th in the world rankings before I realized that it just didn't suit my talents very well (I suck at lying) :P.

I don't play quite as much Go as I used to, but am still active. One of the funny things about Go is, the better you get, the more you realize how much you suck at it.

I play Doppelkopf, the second-best card game in the world, in the German Bundesliga. Unfortunately, that is only 5 weekends a year, the rest of the year being spent playing with bad players and losing anyway because the luck factor is too high. :P There have been some experiments with duplicate Doppelkopf, but the results have been pretty random because you don't get to pick your partners.

I expect it is only a matter of time before I realize that I will never be any good at Bridge, either, and devote myself to the study of Tic-Tac-Toe.

And of course there are role-playing games, but those are a different category altogether...
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#20 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2006-July-04, 20:56

Sigi_BC84, on Mar 7 2006, 04:29 PM, said:

cherdano, on Mar 7 2006, 03:50 PM, said:

I'd be interested to hear some more.

The two most obvious differences are: 1) Go is a game of complete information and 2) Bridge is a partnership game.

Bridge reduces quite quickly to something practically solvable (as in, you can finish an analysis of which line of play gives the best chances in finite time), whereas in Go, even top pros cannot make an absolute statement as to what the best move is until near the end. On the other hand, in Go, each game has the same starting state so it is easy enough to memorize some conventional wisdom to get you going, while in Bridge you are constantly challenged with new starting positions.

That's just scratching the surface, of course, and I guess anyone who plays both games will have personal feelings on the matter which are hard to put in words. Let's just say that playing each game is quite a unique experience, comparable yet not comparable.

Arend is quite a bit better than I am at both games and as such probably has more valuable insights. :P
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users