• Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-January-10, 22:20

View Postmiamijd, on 2018-January-10, 14:49, said:

If you bid 3C over 2S, you are apt to find partner with:

Kxxx
Qxxx
xx
Jxx

Now partner is going to bid 3S (what else can he do), and you may well be too high.

Cheers,
mike

well if he does he bid wrong his bid would be 3 or even 3nt is better than 3s

#22 User is offline   0deary 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2018-January-11, 02:44

My answers to your 3 questions, and a few thoughts on west’s bid after the 2S, P...?

In my village X shows 4 S or a strong enough hand to adjust- that means I adjust if partner bids Ss. After the X you rely on 4 spades but if west adjust I reassess

Even if east passed then a free 2S now should show a tad stronger than a Q (likely under the cosh) moreover with a flat 10 losers. Definitely pass not 2S

But let’s say we are when we are...it come to 2S-P-? What now? Well it’s teams, so our chums will be showing their score on this hand in half an hour, what are we going to offer our score? Reflect its one of those hands with points roughly split, so potentially quite swingy hand. The absolute worst would be chums offer -600; they banged 3NT and the D fell 2-2/Q Singleton and just enough to make a C finesse. We’d just have to be philosophical on that. A more good result is chums offer +110/140 in 2/3H and we make a plus too- a very useful half dozen imps. The bad one would be chums offer -110 as their opp went plus, just as we go down too- that could be half a dozen imps out- not good, not at all!

So as West I’d reflect that it’s really important that we go plus here, and I’d try to deliver that by rank better Bridge (and not playing against the odds and evidence)

So first let’s assume East’s 2S bid had 4 points and 5 Ss- how will she fare in 2S?

Trying to play finesses is likely impossible- the hand tends to be too weak to access. East is unlikely 4 Hs so a nice C/H Cross ruff looks asking a bit too much. So I’m imaging something like 3S+1H ruff+ hopefully 1D but asking for 2 might be too much and 1C, possibly 2 in the finesse. Total 7. Oh dear- it’s quite likely east will go down even if she has more shape and power. If I’m right on this then I must adjust now. The chance of a minus is too high

What about 3C now? Let’s assume now east either pass, so I’m in a 4-4 fit in C, or east bid 3D, so I’m in a 5-3 fit. How many tricks now? 1S, 0H, so I focus on the minors and need 8 tricks now. In D I’m hoping for Cs finesse and ruff. And in C then she is something like 4/5: 2/3: ?: 4 so short Ds and hope to set them up. Either way I can see 1+0+5+3. Hence 3C after 2S-P-?

#23 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2018-January-11, 04:36

View PostCodeByJim, on 2018-January-10, 13:42, said:

I play opening is forcing for one round.
Bid 1. Second bid is jump shift to 3.
If North passes East must bid 1
Ignore what South bids and Jump Shift to 2nt, forcing 1 round.
East must keep the bidding open with a 3 and I follow with

Invention of a totally new system of bidding.

#24 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2018-January-11, 11:12

View Post0deary, on 2018-January-11, 02:44, said:

My answers to your 3 questions, and a few thoughts on west’s bid after the 2S, P...?

In my village X shows 4 S or a strong enough hand to adjust- that means I adjust if partner bids Ss. After the X you rely on 4 spades but if west adjust I reassess

Even if east passed then a free 2S now should show a tad stronger than a Q (likely under the cosh) moreover with a flat 10 losers. Definitely pass not 2S

But let’s say we are when we are...it come to 2S-P-? What now? Well it’s teams, so our chums will be showing their score on this hand in half an hour, what are we going to offer our score? Reflect its one of those hands with points roughly split, so potentially quite swingy hand. The absolute worst would be chums offer -600; they banged 3NT and the D fell 2-2/Q Singleton and just enough to make a C finesse. We’d just have to be philosophical on that. A more good result is chums offer +110/140 in 2/3H and we make a plus too- a very useful half dozen imps. The bad one would be chums offer -110 as their opp went plus, just as we go down too- that could be half a dozen imps out- not good, not at all!

So as West I’d reflect that it’s really important that we go plus here, and I’d try to deliver that by rank better Bridge (and not playing against the odds and evidence)

So first let’s assume East’s 2S bid had 4 points and 5 Ss- how will she fare in 2S?

Trying to play finesses is likely impossible- the hand tends to be too weak to access. East is unlikely 4 Hs so a nice C/H Cross ruff looks asking a bit too much. So I’m imaging something like 3S+1H ruff+ hopefully 1D but asking for 2 might be too much and 1C, possibly 2 in the finesse. Total 7. Oh dear- it’s quite likely east will go down even if she has more shape and power. If I’m right on this then I must adjust now. The chance of a minus is too high

What about 3C now? Let’s assume now east either pass, so I’m in a 4-4 fit in C, or east bid 3D, so I’m in a 5-3 fit. How many tricks now? 1S, 0H, so I focus on the minors and need 8 tricks now. In D I’m hoping for Cs finesse and ruff. And in C then she is something like 4/5: 2/3: ?: 4 so short Ds and hope to set them up. Either way I can see 1+0+5+3. Hence 3C after 2S-P-?
Quite interesting presentation .Is it not?

#25 User is offline   miamijd 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-January-11, 15:18

View Postaawk, on 2018-January-10, 22:20, said:

well if he does he bid wrong his bid would be 3 or even 3nt is better than 3s

3D on two of them? Not quite. 3NT with Qxxx in front of the heart bidder? Seems likely the opponents run five H right off the top, and they probably have at least one more high card winner if not two. I suppose you could pass 3C, but you're kind of in the soup no matter what you do.

#26 User is offline   GrahamJson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-January-11, 19:21

View Postmiamijd, on 2018-January-11, 15:18, said:

3D on two of them? Not quite. 3NT with Qxxx in front of the heart bidder? Seems likely the opponents run five H right off the top, and they probably have at least one more high card winner if not two. I suppose you could pass 3C, but you're kind of in the soup no matter what you do.

3D should£ be routine. It’s called false preference. It doesn’t mean that you prefer diamonds to any other suit, just that 3d is the best contract available.

#27 User is offline   aawk 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-January-11, 20:35

View Postmiamijd, on 2018-January-11, 15:18, said:

yes 3 on a 2 card you have a 5-2 fit and I said that 3nt would be better then 3.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users