• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

competing

#1 User is offline   JAQPM 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2017-October-04, 18:20

Two hands from recent BBO that were a worry

(1) RHO opened 1NT....with my balanced 13 count I passed...Pass from LHO ...Pard with balanced 12 count Passed....We made 10 tricks for Plus 400 no swing because of vulnerability but we could have been vulnerable and opener non vul resulting in a big loss....is there any answer?

(2) RHO opened 1S.....I passed with my x Jxxxxx xx Aqxx.....LHO 2S....Pard with xxx AQx Qx Kxxxx also passed another bad result...What is the answer?

Thanks to all that respond

#2 User is offline   spotlight7 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-October-04, 18:30

1) Balanced hands should pass.

2) After (1S)-p-(2S)-p-(p)-I believe 3H is your best bid.

The other pair found a fit and stopped bidding so your side normally holds about

half the HCP. You have a long suit and partner is expected to hold a decent

hand since you have 7HCP.

#3 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2017-October-04, 18:32

Welcome.
Overcalling distribution just as important as hcp.
Hand 1) need the hands. Maybe nothing could have been done. without hands just speculation. Also, vulnerability also needs to be considered.
Hand 2) opponent have a fit. your in balance seat with 1 spade. You have to take a bid it is clear.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#4 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-October-04, 18:56

View PostJAQPM, on 2017-October-04, 18:20, said:

(1) RHO opened 1NT....with my balanced 13 count I passed...Pass from LHO ...Pard with balanced 12 count Passed....We made 10 tricks for Plus 400 no swing because of vulnerability but we could have been vulnerable and opener non vul resulting in a big loss....is there any answer?

Not really. Action from either partner more often finds half of partner's HCP with opener's partner, then your side can get in considerable trouble. You have to basically rely on other pair facing the same problem. If your teammates are playing another notrump range it's basically a system loss you have to live with.

(2) RHO opened 1S.....I passed with my x Jxxxxx xx Aqxx.....LHO 2S....Pard with xxx AQx Qx Kxxxx also passed another bad result...What is the answer?

Thanks to all that respond

I really wouldn't worry too much about this one. It should have not been that costly since the opps should make 3S at the bare minimum, and often 4. So competing should just push them higher for same result.
NV at MP I'd risk 3h if 2s came back around to me, it can turn out ugly but MP you get rewarded for frequency and most of the time it works out better than selling out quietly to 2S. Vul is less clear.

#5 User is offline   maartenxq 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-October-06, 04:02

View PostStephen Tu, on 2017-October-04, 18:56, said:

I really wouldn't worry too much about this one. It should have not been that costly since the opps should make 3S at the bare minimum, and often 4. So competing should just push them higher for same result.
ut quietly to 2S. Vul is less clear.

Indeed. Look at opps hand. If are 3-1 or good for them they make 4 , if both are good they have 5.
Maarten Baltussen

#6 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2017-October-08, 13:49

Hand #1 - First of all, passing with a balanced 13 behind the NT bidder would be entirely normal over a strong NT opener. With a good 13, you might Double showing equal value over a weak (12-14) NT if you play Cappelletti or similar. So, making any move on this hand really depends on partner in the reopening seat.

Opposite a strong NT, partner with 12 is looking at 27-29 HCP in his and your RHO's hands. So it becomes very difficult to make a move with the remaining 11-13 points presumably split between your and your LHO's hands. The only caveat might be if partner had a semi-balanced hand 5-4-2-2 and the distribution favors saying something. Otherwise, your result is probably pretty normal.

Opposite a weak NT, partner with 12 is looking at 24-26 HCP in his and your RHO's hands. That leaves the remaining 14-16 points presumably split between your and your LHO's hands. With any even distribution of points between those two hands, the points ought to be near equal, so competing at the 2 level at least should be considered -- probably with a reopening double in 4th suit. The bid would not be without risks as responder's pass could be made with up to a bad 11.

Hand #2 - Unfortunately, your partner can't compete directly over the 2 raise because at that point in the auction your RHO's hand is still unlimited. But you know they've found a fit and didn't invite, so they probably don't have more than 22-23 points and quite often less. If they have a fit, your side should have a fit, so this is hand to compete on. Your hand has 7 and if the opponents have 23 or less, partner has at least 10+ points. Your also have a 6 card suit and shortness in their suit. Sure, you'd like a little better suit, but bidding 3 here stands out.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users