BBO Discussion Forums: Event 7B (Round-robin then Knock-out) - Gold and Silver Brackets - BBO Discussion Forums

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Event 7B (Round-robin then Knock-out) - Gold and Silver Brackets Olegru wins..

#61 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2017-March-30, 02:36

I completed SF3 (expires tomorrow) and mailed Broze.

#62 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-March-30, 02:44

View Postnige1, on 2017-March-30, 02:36, said:

I completed SF3 (expires tomorrow) and mailed Broze.

Thanks Nigel - should be able to play the last set this eve.
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#63 User is offline   ovncylmz 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-March-30, 07:07

olegru-phoenix214 is our big final. Given phoenix is in the Netherlands for a juniors tournament, I think he and olegru may enjoy their final match starting sometime this weekend or the end of the weekend. Congrats to both!

#64 User is offline   ovncylmz 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-March-30, 07:15

I think this tournament (7B) went really good and the format was nice - except some people complained about the IMP/best-hand. We will open up a discussion thread for the Event 8 soon. We had several issues in the parallel event (7A) due to some players, I am actually very glad that we kept the list "somehow" invited for 7B.

For Event 8 (Probably will be in IMP or MP/non-best hand), I am somehow planning to combine events A & B for the earlier stage:
>> We get registrations for the Premier Event, it will be open to anyone who can play in a similar pace with Event 7B.
>> A set number of players (Group X) will directly start from Round-Robin stage, based on masterpoints list.
>> Others have to play a qualifying round - or maybe two rounds if too many entries, all numbers will be decided based on the entries - to join Round-Robin stage.
>> We put Group X with winners in the qualifying round (Group Y) and these people will play the Round-Robin.
>> For people who cannot play in this pace, or people who cannot make it to Round-Robin, there will be a Side Swiss, probably in IMPs/non-best hand (since I don't have software and stuff, the actual movement will be Danish, with multiple games between two players are possible). People who are in the Round-Robin will not be able to play in this event.

Any ideas? Especially about IMP/MP for the premier event?

#65 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-March-30, 08:43

View Postovncylmz, on 2017-March-30, 07:15, said:

I formerly argued for MP but I am now persuaded that IMP is more exciting. I do still favour non-best hand - maybe because I'm so bad at declaring 1NT :)
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#66 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-March-30, 14:32

broze 12 - nige1 13 in the final set.

Thanks for the tight match Nigel. 10 pushes in that last one.
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#67 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2017-March-30, 15:38

View Postbroze, on 2017-March-30, 14:32, said:

broze 12 - nige1 13 in the final set. Thanks for the tight match Nigel. 10 pushes in that last one.

Thank you broze and Good luck in the final :)

#68 User is offline   phoenix214 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge; Chess; Boardgames; Physics; Math; Problem solving; and anything that makes my brain thinking.

Posted 2017-April-01, 06:54

As for the format for the next event, Id strongly prefer not to play IMP best hand, but rather some other format.
Also hope to start the finals with Olegru asap :)

#69 User is offline   Mkgnao 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-01, 07:20

I like switching between IMPs and MPs.

The problem with best hand is that it completely changes the dynamic of bidding and play (knowing you've got the most HCP at the table). IMPs best hand is about making game on almost every hand, with now and then partscores and slams.

#70 User is offline   phoenix214 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge; Chess; Boardgames; Physics; Math; Problem solving; and anything that makes my brain thinking.

Posted 2017-April-02, 03:28

phoenix214 - olegru (20 - 8)
http://webutil.bridg...85&u=phoenix214
really close set, Oleg did not get to a slam, while I decided to not try and push a game, which was making, luckily NV.

Hand 9 was a bit interesting, as both of us misplayed a making 4H, cause we both missed a nice endplay.

{comments}

I figured my line had the nice extra chance to make if Lefty started with Kx in D, but a better line to make, is just to simply discard a club on 4th diamond, as then bot has to lead a club or give a ruff and sluff

#71 User is offline   phoenix214 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-02, 13:31

phoenix214 - olegru 29-47
http://webutil.bridg...75&u=phoenix214

#72 User is offline   m1cha 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-02, 17:17

I slightly prefer MP to IMP but alternating between the two is better than sticking with either.

The tournament structure looks fine to me.

#73 User is offline   m1cha 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-02, 17:49

View PostMkgnao, on 2017-April-01, 07:20, said:

The problem with best hand is that it completely changes the dynamic of bidding and play (knowing you've got the most HCP at the table).

This is true but all humans are in the same situation and the robots won't complain. So what?

What I don't like about non-best hand is that much of the defense play is just random. You discard 6 on one table and 5 on the other table, and you know it shouldn't matter because declarer doesn't observe signals but the random seeds now work differently on both tables, and what happens is that the robot plays the hand well on one table and misplays it on the other table. I find that tolerable when I'm defending just a few hands, but when I'm defending 50 % of the hands, it can be annoying. Particularly in IMPs against a good opponent when 3 of your 4 swings come about in this way.

View PostMkgnao, on 2017-April-01, 07:20, said:

IMPs best hand is about making game on almost every hand, with now and then partscores and slams.

It's not as bad as that. I have just checked the 64 boards that I played against phoenix214. We had
29 full games,
19 part scores,
12 boards defending,
4 slams.
I find that's quite a nice selection considering that declarer play is a very essential part of bridge.

#74 User is offline   ovncylmz 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-02, 20:35

broze-hijunny? did u guys start?

#75 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-03, 02:12

View Postm1cha, on 2017-April-02, 17:49, said:

What I don't like about non-best hand is that much of the defense play is just random. You discard 6 on one table and 5 on the other table, and you know it shouldn't matter because declarer doesn't observe signals but the random seeds now work differently on both tables, and what happens is that the robot plays the hand well on one table and misplays it on the other table. I find that tolerable when I'm defending just a few hands, but when I'm defending 50 % of the hands, it can be annoying. Particularly in IMPs against a good opponent when 3 of your 4 swings come about in this way.

But the defence is subject to the same random disruption when you vary your carding as declarer. The problem with best hand is it gives you information that you would not normally be allowed to use.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#76 User is offline   hijunny132 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2017-April-03, 11:44

View Postovncylmz, on 2017-April-02, 20:35, said:

broze-hijunny? did u guys start?

Hijunny132 - Broze

Set 1: 24-62 (-38) http://webutil.bridg...56&u=hijunny132
Set 2: 46-18 (+28) http://webutil.bridg...52&u=hijunny132

#77 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2017-April-03, 15:05

MPs is better. After playing both, I really do not think its close. Wayyyy less random and 15 comparisons, instead of about 4-8.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#78 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2017-April-03, 15:09

View PostPhil, on 2017-April-03, 15:05, said:

MPs is better. After playing both, I really do not think its close. Wayyyy less random and 15 comparisons, instead of about 4-8.

Edit - think of it like this. You want to play JLall in this event.

Would you rather play 15 hands of grinding for the nth trick, or play 15 hands, where maybe 8-10 rate to be pushes, and if things go your way 3 times on the other 5, you have a chance of beating him.

Similarly, you're playing a demonstrably weaker player. Want to make them have to work for the win? Pick MPs.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#79 User is offline   m1cha 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-03, 15:25

View Postgordontd, on 2017-April-03, 02:12, said:

But the defence is subject to the same random disruption when you vary your carding as declarer.

Yes, it is. But as declarer you make other decisions that will determine the outcome of a game more clearly. If I lose a game by misguessing the direction of a finesse for a queen, that's okay, it's bridge. But if I lose a game by discarding the 'wrong' card from 763 (knowing it's not a signal anyway) well ... Maybe I feel too strongly about it.

View Postgordontd, on 2017-April-03, 02:12, said:

The problem with best hand is it gives you information that you would not normally be allowed to use.

Yes but it's not allowed to use because it would be unfair to one party. Here all parties have the same information, so it's not unfair.
For example you can open an 11 HCP hand with 1m and pass a reply of 1 even in 1st seat as if you were in 4th seat. Yes, it differs, but bridge differs anyway depending if you play MPs or IMPs etc.
Or you may know precisely that East cannot have K because if it hat it would have more HCP than you; while in non-best hand you couldn't be so sure. But hey, it's still good bridge. These things just don't bother me. But I accept of course if others feel differently about it.

#80 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-03, 15:28

Hijunny +19 in 3rd set. Well played.

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users