BBO Discussion Forums: Results analysis - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Results analysis Statistics on different bidding and play results?

#1 User is offline   palmergnaw 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2017-March-20, 02:45

My work involves data and these days we all discuss the huge amount of data just sitting there and waiting to be mined.

BBO has an amazing resource of these millions of detailed hand records and I wonder if the data is being analysed currently?

I think everyone would be interested in knowing whether particular systems can be shown to be more effective, what types of leads actually produce more tricks, etc. I believe hand records have already been crunched but I don't know if those books had access to as much data as I believe BBO has.

Cheers,
Paul

#2 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-March-20, 08:15

You might want to have a look at BridgeBrowser.

http://www.microtopia.net/bridge/

You have to pay for it. I offer no opinion on whether it is value for money as I have not gone down that road, but I know of one or two others who have it and think that it is good. And you can purchase a "bank" of millions of hands played on BBO.

I don't hear much about it these days.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-March-20, 08:54

View Postpalmergnaw, on 2017-March-20, 02:45, said:

I think everyone would be interested in knowing whether particular systems can be shown to be more effective, what types of leads actually produce more tricks, etc. I believe hand records have already been crunched but I don't know if those books had access to as much data as I believe BBO has.

We have archives of all hands that have been played on BBO. But figuring out what systems they're using just by looking at the bidding and play records would be pretty difficult. You might be possible to make some general guesses -- if they open 1 with few clubs and 16+ HCP you can guess that it's a strong club system, but it could also be Polish club. I guess if you look at lots of hands played by the same pair you'd be able to distinguish.

#4 User is offline   pigpenz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-March-20, 09:27

View Post1eyedjack, on 2017-March-20, 08:15, said:

You might want to have a look at BridgeBrowser.

http://www.microtopia.net/bridge/

You have to pay for it. I offer no opinion on whether it is value for money as I have not gone down that road, but I know of one or two others who have it and think that it is good. And you can purchase a "bank" of millions of hands played on BBO.

I don't hear much about it these days.

the bridge browser software is good but I don't think Stephen has gotten any new data since 2008.
the only problem is that sometimes garbage in garbage out.
You could get data for bbo acbl bbo general and the same for OK Bridge.

I have written Stephen several times as the exe file tends to time out after awhile or needs to be update for different OS updates.....so the only place I currently have it is on an xp mode drive in windows 7.
its a little pricey but does what it promises, I wish he had a data for say the blue ribbon pairs on national events.

#5 User is offline   palmergnaw 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2017-March-25, 21:55

View Postbarmar, on 2017-March-20, 08:54, said:

We have archives of all hands that have been played on BBO. But figuring out what systems they're using just by looking at the bidding and play records would be pretty difficult. You might be possible to make some general guesses -- if they open 1 with few clubs and 16+ HCP you can guess that it's a strong club system, but it could also be Polish club. I guess if you look at lots of hands played by the same pair you'd be able to distinguish.

Thanks for letting me know. It would be amazing if BBO would expose the records so that we in the data/bridge community could try crunching the numbers. I would envisage the hands details exposed but the player details anonymized.

Besides comparing different systems I would love to see which way of evaluating the hand ends up giving the best results. Many people consider Marty Bergen's system to be the best out there but I'd love to try proving that out.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users