BBO Discussion Forums: Transgenders and bathrooms -- is there a solution? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Transgenders and bathrooms -- is there a solution?

#61 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-March-03, 03:45

View Postmikeh, on 2017-March-02, 15:35, said:

When I read your criticisms, I flashed back to an exam I wrote when I was studying chemical engineering. I got the answer right, and had used the correct reasoning, but when writing it out, I had skipped a few steps, since the steps seemed trivial and I could do them in my head. The professor deducted marks for my failure to pedantically set out all of the intermediate steps. 45 years later I am still annoyed :D

When I read your comments, I flashed back to one of my own grievances from my school days. There was a question in a geography test asking something like "what is the main way in which the climate of place A differs from that of place B?" My answer - "it has heavy rainfall". Unfortunately I only got half marks because I missed out a crucial fact. Apparently I should have said "it has heavy rainfall while place B is relatively dry". My argument that that was implied, since otherwise heavy rainfall would not have been a difference at all just didn't seem to be understood. 44 years (I think) later, I'm also still annoyed when I think about it, but I try to tell myself that it was a useful lesson in how stupid teachers can be....

#62 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-March-03, 09:54

I got to school for first period, and we have our weekly pop quiz. The only warning I get is my teacher's offhand comment "I hope you don't mind..."

Q1. [Mycroft] throws a computer into the air at a speed of ...

Q2. [Classmate] throws [Mycroft] into the air. He reaches the height of ...

I kept the quiz in my memorabilia box, to this day, but I think I'm still annoyed when I think about it... Not sure which is worse, the no warning/no permission, or the class being forced to ask the teacher (and then the teacher asking me) for a critical piece of missing information - my weight.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#63 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-March-03, 13:40

View PostWellSpyder, on 2017-March-03, 03:45, said:

When I read your comments, I flashed back to one of my own grievances from my school days. There was a question in a geography test asking something like "what is the main way in which the climate of place A differs from that of place B?" My answer - "it has heavy rainfall". Unfortunately I only got half marks because I missed out a crucial fact. Apparently I should have said "it has heavy rainfall while place B is relatively dry". My argument that that was implied, since otherwise heavy rainfall would not have been a difference at all just didn't seem to be understood. 44 years (I think) later, I'm also still annoyed when I think about it, but I try to tell myself that it was a useful lesson in how stupid teachers can be....

There are many such instances, and assuming we can take a bathroom break here is one.

I was taking a course in reading German. There was something about a ship and a torpedo, and the literal translation was that the ship "went under". I so translated, and it was marked wrong. "went down" and "sank" were acceptable. I never really understood the explanation.

But revenge was mine. I later had to pass a German reading exam independent of the course. I was a grad student in mathematics, and they took the exam from German mathematics literature. I won't try to get the German phrasing exactly right, but it had something to do with "der Fundamental Theorem der Algebra" and "der Theorem der Liouvillie". The German looked tough but I was thoroughly familiar with the connection between Liouville's Theorem and The Fundamental Theorem of Algebra so I wrote an off the cuff essay on the subject using whatever German I could translate as hints. I passed.

And then there was the humanities course I took. We were reading Aquinas and the assignment was to read his five proofs of the existence of God and decide which argument we found to be the most compelling, Me being me, I asked what we should do if we didn't find any of them compelling. I was told to decide which one I found the least compelling. No surprise, the next period I was called upon to give my argument. I felt I did a reasonable job of demolishing the argument from first cause.
Prof: Did you notice that he said "efficient cause""
Me: No
Prof: You missed the whole point, sit down.

I am not complaining, in fact this was perhaps one of the two best courses I took as an undergraduate (the other being the mathematics of fluid flow). Maybe I am a sucker for tough grading. In the fluid flow class I turned in my solution to an assigned problem. The problem was tough, the solution went on for several pages, it was correct except that I did not put the final answer in the exact form that he asked for. The difference was very minor. I got 2 points out of 20.

I could go on. But I need to go to the bathroom.
Ken

#64 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-March-03, 23:38

Again folks given I lived in the city that started this issue in the media for some reason,,,,,,, I live in a heavy democratic city, very liberal for the South...

I can only tell you I have not met a single person who talks about this issue. but then I live a sheltered life.

I, we only hope that at some point the state of NC will give up and overturn.

fwiw it seems the issue has shifted to school bathrooms, school gym locker rooms...

for me I go back to the lack of people in jail who are customers of having sex with kids.....even this thread seems to want to do nothing regarding this issue besides saying it is bad.....

people prefer threads where they can feel they are good and righteous

#65 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2017-March-04, 01:04

View Postmike777, on 2017-March-03, 23:38, said:

for me I go back to the lack of people in jail who are customers of having sex with kids.....even this thread seems to want to do nothing regarding this issue besides saying it is bad.....

So you believe that any issues affecting LGBTQ individuals involve paedophilia? You are not alone in this, but your belief is incorrect.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#66 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2017-March-04, 01:10

View PostVampyr, on 2017-March-04, 01:04, said:

So you believe that any issues affecting LGBTQ individuals involve paedophilia? You are not alone in this, but your belief is incorrect.

v I understand you may believe transgenders rape kids

but just because you believe it does not make it true. but you are not alone thus threads such as this.

what you also do not believe that there are adult customers out there raping kids and they are not in jail
IN fact few, very few seem to be in jail in the united kingdom AS OF 2017.

#67 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2017-March-04, 01:29

View Postmike777, on 2017-March-04, 01:10, said:

v I understand you may believe transgenders rape kids

but just because you believe it does not make it true. but you are not alone thus threads such as this.

Ummm, sorry, you brought up the sex with children, and obviously think that it is relevant to this thread. Soooo?

what you also do not believe that there are adult customers out there raping kids and they are not in jail
IN fact few, very few seem to be in jail in the united kingdom AS OF 2017.

i hope this is not true, but in any case you should take your facts and figures to the relevant authorities, and if you get no joy there, to an investigative reporter.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#68 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-March-04, 12:43

View Postmikeh, on 2017-March-02, 15:35, said:

Ok, I left out the middle bits of my reasoning, such as it was, assuming that anyone sufficiently interested to read that far would be able to figure it out.

Historically, men and women did not have separate toilet facilities, if only because, until relatively recently (in terms of the species) we didn't have toilets! Before we had toilets, we, I assume, didn't have the hangups and privacy concerns that are, these days, so strongly attached to toilets, including privacy issues.

I found this Quora thread about privacy during defecation:

https://www.quora.co...erth?srid=uU3gw

Summary of the specific post I linked to: he's an anthropologist who spent time with a primitive tribe (the general assumption is that these are the best approximations of prehistoric human societies that we can get). Since they didn't have toilets, they would go out into the fields to do their business. While they might go out in groups, they would be single-sex groups.

So it seems like the stereotype of women going to the ladies room together may be human nature. But not unisex bathrooms.

BTW, the people who think that homosexuality is not "natural" are also wrong. There are well-documented cases of homosexuality among animals. And evolutionary biologists have theories about why a certain fraction of the human population is likely to be homosexual -- they serve useful societal roles, so they enhance group fitness.

#69 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2017-March-06, 08:48

View Postkenberg, on 2017-March-03, 13:40, said:

I was taking a course in reading German. There was something about a ship and a torpedo, and the literal translation was that the ship "went under". I so translated, and it was marked wrong. "went down" and "sank" were acceptable. I never really understood the explanation.

Literal translation is often incorrect Ken. Untergehen is a verb made up of gehen (to go) and unter (under) but its normal translation is indeed to sink. In another context you might use to go under, to go down or even to disappear or to cease to exist. That does not make the text as written good English, which is the object of the exercise when doing a translation. This is a problem I encounter often living as I do now in Germany. As an example from the weekend, someone told me they were going to freeze in the broccoli. Of course the correct German verb here is einfrieren - that does not make the "in" correct when speaking in English. This sort of thing comes up often. Recognising it is part of learning the language, which apparently was a successful lesson as you still remember it to this day!
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#70 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2017-March-13, 20:10

View PostVampyr, on 2017-March-04, 01:29, said:

Ummm, sorry, you brought up the sex with children, and obviously think that it is relevant to this thread. Soooo?

i hope this is not true, but in any case you should take your facts and figures to the relevant authorities, and if you get no joy there, to an investigative reporter.

V...I actually live in the city/town which is at the epicenter of this entire debate. We passed the law which in turn motivated the state to pass a counter law regarding banning trangenders in the bathroom. The whole issue is about adults raping kids, customers paying to rape kids and not going to prison.....now if you want to argue what does that have to do with transgender...welcome to my world....but that is the connection people make....right or wrong.

IF you want to disagree with the connection fair enough( I agree wyou) but that is the underlying connection in this issue.

I only pick on the UK because you live there and because it seems 1400 kids in this one incident were raped possibly tens of thousands of times and as of 2017 the number of customers(not pimps) in prison is close to zero and the world including gthe usa seems to care little, very very little.

So it feels like the whole transgender issue is really about posters feeling good about themselves, about how they are good people...everyone else are bad people.

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users