• You cannot reply to this topic

What goes on your pizza?

#1 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-February-24, 08:51

President of Iceland would ban pineapple on pizza

http://diply.com/pin...ium=diply-hello

I'm into traditional +olives +bacon (of course)
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-February-24, 09:39

Well, I have a similar opinion of lox (aka smoked salmon). I like it very much, but I can't imagine putting it on a pizza, as in the picture at the end of the article.

I like the PoI's comment: "I would not want to hold this position if I could pass laws forbidding that which I don't like. I would not want to live in such a country." I wonder what POTUS's feelings about that would be?

I'm sure attitudes like that are a big part of why he has a 97% approval rating.

To answer the question, my go-to toppings are sausage+mushroom, but sometimes I'll get anchovies instead of shrooms, or hamburger instead of sausage.

#3 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-24, 10:28

There is an Italian restaurant near us that we like. The number 8 pizza, our usual choice, has prosciutto, pepperoni, Italian sausage, fresh mozzarella, mushrooms, red onions, green peppers, black olives, tomatoes & roasted garlic (I looked it up).
It's a wonderfully unsophisticated place. I once hat to, a rare thing for me, send back a bottle of wine.They had stored it near the furnace and it was only slightly cooler than hot tea. But great pizza.

Another big battle is over how the crust should be. Some like the Chicago style of very thick firm crust. At the opposite extreme, and my preference, there is the crust that droops over your fingers. That was the style at Carbone's when I first started eating pizza. They also served beer to seventeen year olds, adding to the attraction. Carbone's still exists but, alas, it is much more respectable. Decent pizza, but not the wild and crazy stuff of days gone by.

I eat pineapplle with many things. With cottage cheese, for example. And pineapple upside down cake. And by itself. Not in pizza.
Ken

#4 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2017-February-24, 11:14

View Postggwhiz, on 2017-February-24, 08:51, said:

Well, it should be illegal.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#5 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-24, 12:04

View PostVampyr, on 2017-February-24, 11:14, said:

ESPECIALLY when they add ham and call it Hawaiian. Yuck!

At home, we use naan bread with a bit of cream cheese and olive oil, pan-fried leeks , thin slices of pear with prosciutto covered by aged cheddar and a bit of gruyere de grotte and a few black olives. Yum!
Local pizzarias here serve "Greek" style with tomato/garlic sauce, pepperoni, mushrooms, green pepper covered with mozzarella. Chewy crust with a large rim.
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#6 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-24, 12:14

Feta cheese, artichokes, spanish pepper, onions, black olives
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#7 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2017-February-24, 13:13

Many years ago I was in a discussion of "what pizza to get for a SF con private party". Only three things I remember:
  • Half should be straight pepperoni. Most will eat that even if it's not their favourite.
  • Have more than one vegetarian option ("Oh good, salad again!"), and put it at the *end* of the row, because carnivores will pick them up "just because" (and then complain about it) and the vegetarians will have no food ("again!")
  • You have to have one Hawaiian (ham and pineapple), or there will be Words Said. But it will be the last to go (even over the vegetarians).

To which this Hawaiian lover called BS - at least in Canada. It's the *first* to go. Now those green skateboards and road tires that people think are "vegetables" and therefore are on all pizza with vegetables...those should be illegal.

Yes, I had a ham, pineapple and anchovy pizza once. I won't do it again - but it wasn't *bad*.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#8 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-24, 13:24

I like pineapple pizza (the ham and pineapple hawaii thing). Surprised to see that it's so unpopular. My kids didn't even want to taste it, because pineapple and meat ewwwwwww but it's really not bad, unless the pineapple is excessively sweet

#9 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2017-February-24, 13:53

View Postdiana_eva, on 2017-February-24, 13:24, said:

pineapple and meat ewwwwwww

Pineapple and pen on the other hand:

https://www.youtube....h?v=Ct6BUPvE2sM

#10 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-24, 13:58

View Postnullve, on 2017-February-24, 13:53, said:

Pineapple and pen on the other hand:

https://www.youtube....h?v=Ct6BUPvE2sM

Oh that... kids asked me to give them apples at school and took me a while to understand why that sudden desire to get healthy snacks. When they're 10 and 14 you tend to be very up to date with everything trending on the internet.

#11 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2017-February-24, 15:05

The go-to ingredient for us these days is butternut squash. Purple onion is good.

We never get a pre-made crust, and we rarely order pizza out. We will use the bag dough from Trader Joes and sometimes we make the crust out of riced cauliflower. It gets pretty greasy when you put cheese on top, but it maintains the pizza idea.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#12 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2017-February-24, 15:29

In my house, we make our own. Topping favs are pepperoni, sausage, black olives, mushrooms, onions and eggplant. I am the only fan of anchovies. No pineapple.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#13 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-24, 16:20

View PostVampyr, on 2017-February-24, 11:14, said:

But it should be up to the legislature to declare it, not the President.

I wonder if someone in the Trump administration will pass that tweet on, and we'll get an Executive Order, just to show that he can.

#14 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2017-February-24, 22:59

Pepperoni, sausage, sometimes hamburger, sometimes bacon. Ham and pineapple is not bad, but then I lived in Hawaii for three years once upon a time. Octopus (which was a thing in a Japanese Shakey's back in the day) is right out. I also like just garlic and cheese.

I had a friend over for dinner a couple years ago. Served spaghetti with anchovies and capers. "Anchovies?! I'm not eating that!" He did. Now he makes it for himself. However, his lady won't touch it. :P
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#15 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2017-February-25, 06:49

Anchovies can be really salty, it's true, but I don't understand why there are people who hate them, or at least claim to.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#16 User is offline   Aberlour10 

• Vugrapholic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-25, 11:32

Nothing.

Pizza has been banned.

Preempts are Aberlour's best bridge friends

#17 User is offline   USViking 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-May-11, 16:05

View Postggwhiz, on 2017-February-24, 08:51, said:

http://diply.com/pin...ium=diply-hello

I'm into traditional +olives +bacon (of course)

The President of Iceland is absolutely right, and he should follow up by imposing hefty fines and long prison sentences on violators.

However, OP also deserves a fine and prison for leaving out the number*****one pizza ingredient if all time, which is: PEPPERONI

How anyone could leave f*****g PEPPERRONI off the list of pizza toppings is beyond comprehension.

Get real, Dude.

#18 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2017-May-11, 16:10

If you're not in Italy, it's not really pizza.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#19 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-11, 18:37

View PostAl_U_Card, on 2017-February-24, 12:04, said:

ESPECIALLY when they add ham and call it Hawaiian. Yuck!

Forget ham, pineapple and Spam say Hawaiian to me. :)

#20 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2017-May-12, 12:40

Well, I learned something recently - Hawaiian pizza was invented in Toronto. I guess there's a reason we shouldn't wipe TO root-and-branch (not that there are any trees any more) into Lake Ontario.

That does explain why it's massively more popular in Canada, and why there is so much hatred of it in other places.

Hmmph. Probably would complain when we add clam juice to their (horrible-tasting) Bloody Mary, too; and I guess Ginger Beef is double-anathema (whether you care about "authentic" chinese food or if "american-chinese" is okay).
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users