• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cheating Allegations

#521 User is offline   ahh 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-September-19, 08:00

Germany have withdrawn from BB and a German pair have admitted wrongdoing .I hope this is the end of the troubled times for Bridge

#522 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2015-September-19, 08:36

Well, that escalated quickly. Now I really wonder what kind of replacement team can be scrounged up for the Bermuda Bowl.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#523 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-19, 09:32

France is next on the list I believe
The artist formerly known as jlall

#524 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-19, 09:33

Man I love life right now. This is not over either.
The artist formerly known as jlall

#525 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-19, 10:29

View Postahh, on 2015-September-19, 08:00, said:

Germany have withdrawn from BB and a German pair have admitted wrongdoing .I hope this is the end of the troubled times for Bridge

Which pair is this? it does not appear to be reported at the DBV website.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#526 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-19, 10:45

View PostZelandakh, on 2015-September-19, 10:29, said:

Which pair is this? it does not appear to be reported at the DBV website.

Here's a link http://neapolitanclu...rmuda-bowl.html
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#527 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-19, 10:50

View PostPhantomSac, on 2015-September-19, 09:32, said:

Really???
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#528 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-19, 10:51

My wife and I have decided to start practicing. If lots more pairs confess to cheating, we could be eligible to play in the Bermuda Bowl.

;)

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#529 User is online   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-19, 10:54

View PostMrAce, on 2015-September-19, 10:50, said:

Really???

I think he meant France is next in line for a European slot in the Bermuda Bowl.

#530 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-19, 10:55

View PostPhantomSac, on 2015-September-19, 09:32, said:

Really???

Let's be 100% clear: Justin means France is next on the list of countries to qualify for the Bermuda Bowl. He does NOT mean next on the list to withdraw because of a cheating pair.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#531 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-19, 10:56

Really???

I had the same reaction when I read the post the first time.

I really hope he meant to write "France is next on the list of qualifiers I believe" i.e. that Germany's vacated place is probably going to France.

#532 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2015-September-19, 10:57

View Postshyams, on 2015-September-19, 10:56, said:

I had the same reaction when I read the post the first time.

I really hope he meant to write "France is next on the list of qualifiers I believe" i.e. that Germany's vacated place is probably going to France.

No, I am informed that France will withdraw as well and more to come. (Just kidding)

I will wait Justin to make it clear.
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#533 User is online   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-19, 11:00

France isn't in the Bermuda Bowl at the moment, so it would be hard for them to withdraw.

#534 User is offline   glen 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Military history, WW II wargames

Posted 2015-September-19, 11:03

View Postdiana_eva, on 2015-September-19, 00:31, said:

There was a lot of discussion over this at BW. Mike Passell being on probation and penalized 25% of his masterpoints was announced in the last Chicago NABC bulletin. MP then posted his side of the story: http://bridgewinners...he-whole-story/

And then another announcement was made: http://bridgewinners...-breaking-news/

People are missing a lot if they don't read bridgewinners, such as a third pair confessed today to cheating, and their team withdrew from the Bermuda Bowl
'I hit my peak at seven' Taylor Swift

#535 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2015-September-19, 11:07

View Postsfi, on 2015-September-19, 11:00, said:

France isn't in the Bermuda Bowl at the moment, so it would be hard for them to withdraw.

They will first make them qualify to BB so that they can be eligible to be investigated and vacate their qualification! Posted Image

#536 User is offline   glen 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Military history, WW II wargames

Posted 2015-September-19, 11:21

View PostMrAce, on 2015-September-19, 11:07, said:

They will first make them qualify to BB so that they can be eligible to be investigated and vacate their qualification! Posted Image

Since France finished 9th in the 2014 European Teams, they might now qualify for the Bermuda Bowl since 3 of the top 6 teams have had to withdraw
'I hit my peak at seven' Taylor Swift

#537 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-September-19, 12:09

Of the 3 top pairs that have been found 'guilty' of cheating (with potentially another couple to come), ALL of them have generated 'whispers' in top bridge circles.

My take away is that, at least at a World Class level, players are actually very good at recognizing when something suspicious is going on.

Even if the mechanics of how tournaments are run doesn't change, we definitely need to change the method and and remove the stigma associated with reporting suspicious activity.

#538 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2015-September-19, 13:30

View Postglen, on 2015-September-19, 11:21, said:

Since France finished 9th in the 2014 European Teams, they might now qualify for the Bermuda Bowl since 3 of the top 6 teams have had to withdraw

Glen, what I actually tried to say was not about France. It was an attempt to make a joke which meant " Too many teams are being taken down in such a short time that whoever is qualified to fill the vacated position is not safe due to the speed of surprise findings everyday"

#539 User is online   BillHiggin 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-September-19, 14:15

View Postmike777, on 2015-September-19, 00:05, said:

My local bridge newspaper says Mike Passel is suspended from bridge and loses 25% OF HIS 80.000 masterpoints.

He admits he fouled a board, but it was an accident.

the main point being he is a cheater and found to be a cheater per this account.

I know zero of the other details.

Would you be so kind as to actually read Mr Passel's account at http://bridgewinners...he-whole-story/ and then publicly state whether you still claim him to be a cheater?
This story may be more about the total ineptness of the current official process of handling ethics problems (convict one innocent, fail to take action against 3 cheating pairs) than any condemnation of Mr Passel.
You must know the rules well - so that you may break them wisely!

#540 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2015-September-19, 14:43

sorry I don't give a flying ***** about these guys excuses or how nice they are, they cheated and should be banned for life, end of discussion as far as I'm concerned.

They could make a 100 mill donation to charity or whatever, letting them back at any point would send a terrible message imo they are cheaters, they have no place in Bridge
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

• 38 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

10 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users