BBO Discussion Forums: Reputation - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

#1 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-March-06, 08:56

Since Reputation seems to be here to stay I have some suggestions on how to improve it. In a post you can click on the Reputation number to see who has voted for it. It would be very nice if this feature could be implemented for a user, that is, if I were to click the green Reputation box in my profile it would produce a pop-up with the names of everyone that has up- (or down-) voted me with numbers for how often. Similarly for others' profiles.

Also within the profile is the option of viewing the last few messages and threads that someone has posted in. However, it would also be nice to be able to see recent posts for a given user that have been upvoted. If nothing else this might help improve post quality as users can see quickly which types of posts receive a positive response and which not.

Finally, in the Members section it is possible to search by User Rating but not by Reputation. It would be nice if the users for a search could be ordered by Reputation, or that one could search for users above/below a particular Reputation level, or both. This last is more a matter of making Reputation look like it is a part of the forum software rather than the belated add-on it really is.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-March-06, 09:50

I'll pass these suggestion on to the vendor.

#3 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-March-06, 12:14

View PostZelandakh, on 2012-March-06, 08:56, said:

Since Reputation seems to be here to stay I have some suggestions on how to improve it. In a post you can click on the Reputation number to see who has voted for it. It would be very nice if this feature could be implemented for a user, that is, if I were to click the green Reputation box in my profile it would produce a pop-up with the names of everyone that has up- (or down-) voted me with numbers for how often. Similarly for others' profiles.

I would find it much more useful to be able to see which forum(s) a user's upvotes are coming from. Water Cooler upvotes just aren't the same as A/E upvotes.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#4 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-March-06, 14:42

Your suggestion #2 is implemented in IP.Board 3.3, which is in beta test. When you view a user's profile, there will be a Like tab, with Given and Received buttons to select whether to view recent posts that they've given or received upvotes for.

I think looking at your Likes received would be a reasonable approximation for what mgoetze asks for.

#5 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2012-March-07, 09:39

Excellent. Thanks barmar!
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#6 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2015-February-10, 12:00

May i ask about "golden stars" ? Upon 5 i have 1 golden star: What is the meaning ? And eventually how to implementare it ? Thanks.

#7 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2015-February-10, 15:35

View PostLovera, on 2015-February-10, 12:00, said:

May i ask about "golden stars" ? Upon 5 i have 1 golden star: What is the meaning ? And eventually how to implementare it ? Thanks.

Reputation is part of the forum system, and it's based on the number of times people have up-voted your posts. It's shown as the number of dots under your name, you have 4 dots.

Are you talking about the stars used to show compatibility when you view player profiles in BBO? That has nothing to do with reputation. It was discussed extensively last year in this thread:

http://www.bridgebas...ggestions-here/

#8 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-10, 23:48

I think he's talking about the user rating, where he has 1 star (out of five).

#9 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-11, 01:10

View PostAntrax, on 2015-February-10, 23:48, said:

Yes, I've wondered where they come from.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#10 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-11, 09:12

View PostAntrax, on 2015-February-10, 23:48, said:

Yes is the" User Rating " when you see profile and also after having cliked Overall Top Player in the page (with other twenty nicknames). What is the meaning , thanks ? There are five little yellow stars and i have one of these.

#11 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2015-February-11, 11:23

There is no "user rating" on BBO. There are two places where you see stars:

1. Star players. This shows up as a big star in place of the masterpoint rank when you view the player's profile. These are given to champion bridge players. It's explained here.

2. Compatibility rating. This is 1-5 small stars, and is an estimate of how compatible they might be as a partner to you. It compares things like your BBO masterpoints and your country. This feature was added last summer, and discussed in the thread I linked to.

I'm not sure what "Overall Top Player" you're talking about. Do you mean Masterpoints and Races -> Lifetime Leaders? This lists the top 250 players by total BBO masterpoints.

#12 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-11, 12:31

View Postbarmar, on 2015-February-11, 11:23, said:

There is no "user rating" on BBO. There are two places where you see stars:

1. Star players. This shows up as a big star in place of the masterpoint rank when you view the player's profile. These are given to champion bridge players. It's explained here.

2. Compatibility rating. This is 1-5 small stars, and is an estimate of how compatible they might be as a partner to you. It compares things like your BBO masterpoints and your country. This feature was added last summer, and discussed in the thread I linked to.

They are talking about the Forum software, not the BBO software.

I click on your name (in the forums) to see who you are. There is a thick maroon horizontal stripe, underneath which are the headings "Recent Status Updates", "About Me", "Topics" and "Posts". In that thick maroon horizontal stripe, right-justified, (underneath the blue field saying "Report Member") is "User Rating" followed by five stars, some of which are highlighted for each user, to indicate some kind of rating for that user. You (Barmar) have 4 stars out of 5.

#13 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-11, 17:51

View PostBbradley62, on 2015-February-11, 12:31, said:

They are talking about the Forum software, not the BBO software.

I click on your name (in the forums) to see who you are. There is a thick maroon horizontal stripe, underneath which are the headings "Recent Status Updates", "About Me", "Topics" and "Posts". In that thick maroon horizontal stripe, right-justified, (underneath the blue field saying "Report Member") is "User Rating" followed by five stars, some of which are highlighted for each user, to indicate some kind of rating for that user. You (Barmar) have 4 stars out of 5.

Yes , it is. About Overall Top Player is a my mistake : i was referring at Overall Top Poster (instead).

#14 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-February-11, 18:14

I think that the stars have to do with the number of upvotes received compared to the number of posts made.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#15 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-12, 03:08

Those stars are given by other posters. You can access anyone's profile and rate them as many stars as you feel they deserve. They are not related to upvotes.

#16 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-12, 08:59

View Postdiana_eva, on 2015-February-12, 03:08, said:

Those stars are given by other posters. You can access anyone's profile and rate them as many stars as you feel they deserve. They are not related to upvotes.

I have tried what have you said because i was thinking another one: why Fluffy have 5 yellow stars, mike777 two and whereagles 1 like me ? When in whereagles profile i have touched stars there has been an different color(=blue), changing. But now what is the scale and, to apply correctly, the motivation ? How managed this ones, thanks.

#17 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2015-February-12, 09:48

View Postbarmar, on 2012-March-06, 14:42, said:

Your suggestion #2 is implemented in IP.Board 3.3, which is in beta test. When you view a user's profile, there will be a Like tab, with Given and Received buttons to select whether to view recent posts that they've given or received upvotes for.

Pretty long beta test, huh?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#18 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2015-February-12, 10:31

View Postmgoetze, on 2015-February-12, 09:48, said:

Pretty long beta test, huh?

It's not in beta now. The current version of IP.Board is 3.4. But it's difficult for us to upgrade because some of our customizations (particularly the Hand Editor link in the editor toolbar) are not compatible with the new version.

#19 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2015-February-12, 10:37

OK, now that I understand what you're talking about. I believe this rating is similar to product ratings at online stores like Amazon.com. Users can rate each other, and when you view a profile it shows the average rating.

#20 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-12, 12:08

View Postbarmar, on 2015-February-12, 10:37, said:

OK, now that I understand what you're talking about. I believe this rating is similar to product ratings at online stores like Amazon.com. Users can rate each other, and when you view a profile it shows the average rating.'

How about reputation (i actually have 7(=4+1+1+1) rep. q.) is it possible to know who has attribuite a yellow star to me ?

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users