BBO Discussion Forums: Unallowed Pass - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Unallowed Pass When is an Opening Bid required?

Poll: Unallowed Pass (16 member(s) have cast votes)

What would you do?

1. Contact BBO Admin for assistance (1 votes [6.25%])

Percentage of vote: 6.25%

2. Try to educate the opponents. (2 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

3. Leave the table (11 votes [68.75%])

Percentage of vote: 68.75%

4. Continue playing with the opponents anyway (1 votes [6.25%])

5. The opponents are correct! (1 votes [6.25%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   GoEskimo 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-January-15, 05:12

I was playing on BBO Monday night and my partner and I reached a game contract after partner had passed in 1st or 2nd seat.

Upon seeing that my partner (dummy) had 11 HCP and a singleton, opponents asked for a redeal. We asked why before refusing a redeal, but then the host (opponent) redealt the hand anyway.

Their explanation was that my partner had made an "unallowed pass" and advised us to "learn the rules of bridge" without providing any references.

What would be the best educational way to deal with a situation like this, other than simply refusing to play with them?

#2 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-January-15, 05:30

View PostGoEskimo, on 2014-January-15, 05:12, said:

I was playing on BBO Monday night and my partner and I reached a game contract after partner had passed in 1st or 2nd seat.

Upon seeing that my partner (dummy) had 11 HCP and a singleton, opponents asked for a redeal. We asked why before refusing a redeal, but then the host (opponent) redealt the hand anyway.

Their explanation was that my partner had made an "unallowed pass" and advised us to "learn the rules of bridge" without providing any references.

What would be the best educational way to deal with a situation like this, other than simply refusing to play with them?

Obviously you should leave the table (I have no idea why one pollee said to continue playing with them) and you should also ask BBO Admin to assign a score for the board, obviously resolving any doubtful points in your favour. I don't know, though, how you can prove that a redeal was not mutually agreed.

In future, be sure to play at tables where redeals are not permitted.

PS the opponents seem too stupid to benefit from any attempts at "education". Come to think of it, probably the person who voted to continue playing with them figured that they are so stupid you will score well on all the other boards, but you might prefer to have a good game against competent people.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#3 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-15, 07:31

I never knew the host could redeal unilaterally. Or that "no redeals" is a table option.

Anyway, the host is obviously a fool. "Education" will almost surely have no effect on him, but might be fun for you, depending on your mood. Personally I would just leave, maybe giving an "lol" on the way out.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#4 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-15, 07:33

View Postbillw55, on 2014-January-15, 07:31, said:

I never knew the host could redeal unilaterally. Or that "no redeals" is a table option.

I did not know the first, but I have assumed the second, if only because it is impossible to imagine that it could be otherwise.

EDIT: Wow, now someone has voted for "the opponents are correct"! I wish this were a public poll. I really wonder in what universe the comments or behaviour of the opponents can be considered in any way correct.

Further Edit: Maybe in polls which are not public, people vote for absurd choices just for fun, since it won't cause people to think that they are an idiot.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#5 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-January-15, 10:27

View PostVampyr, on 2014-January-15, 05:30, said:

Obviously you should leave the table (I have no idea why one pollee said to continue playing with them) and you should also ask BBO Admin to assign a score for the board, obviously resolving any doubtful points in your favour. I don't know, though, how you can prove that a redeal was not mutually agreed.

BBO only allows score adjustments in tournaments, not at regular bridge tables. If the host redeals, the board is simply discarded.

#6 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2014-January-15, 10:44

This thread is similar to another thread in which someone claimed that a board could not be passed out in a tournament.

People have strange ideas.

Speaking of which, there is an old story that Les Bart held AKxxxxxxx of diamonds in first seat in a team game. He decided to await further developments and passed. The board was passed out, with Bart's side cold for a diamond slam. At the comparison, one of his teammates asked what could have possessed him to pass with AK ninth of diamonds. He said that his diamonds were "AK empty ninth!"

#7 User is offline   GoEskimo 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-January-15, 20:43

Thanks for all the replies. I'm a very forgiving and patient person sometimes. For no reason in particular, we both kept playing with them instead of leaving, so I decided I'd go ahead and offer that option, and then I voted for that option just for fun!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users