BBO Discussion Forums: Multi sequence - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Multi sequence What sounds right?

#1 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2012-July-21, 22:46

The usual Multi version in my country shows either a weak-2 in a Major or a balanced 22-23/26-27 hand. The responses are well defined and the most usual one is 2 which asks opener to pass if hearts are the weak suit or to correct to spades or NT according to his/her hand.

I have seen people using the 2 response in mainly the same way; some people say 2 shows an 'invitational' hand with hearts, which roughly means that if opener holds the hearts s/he should get to 4. Some people just say that 2 is just another pass/correct bid that can be used when opener 'knows' partner holds spades and not hearts (usually with hearts, for if opener has to show the red Major s/he needs to get to 3). I have even seen people bid 2 with 1-2 in the Majors and a poor hand. I think 2 should be bid with (and I usually bid it with) 5 hearts.

Anyway, today someone received the following collection:

T9x
J8xxxx
xx
xx

Now, would you bid 2 or 2 with it?

If partner opened in fourth seat, would you bid 2 or 2?

Finally, at my table the bidding went:

Pa-Pa-Pa-2
Pa-2-Pa-2NT*
Pa-4**-Pa-4NT***
Pa-5-Pa-5
Pa-Pa-Pa

*22-23 balanced
**Texas transfer
***Key Card

This contract went down one. Of course we're missing the strong hand but, who would you blame?

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#2 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-21, 23:13

What was 4 -- a Texas transfer? What was 4NT -- a balanced super-accept? It's tough to know whom to blame if we don't know the methods. And it could be the methods that are at fault; does 2NT show 22-23 or could it be the stronger hand as well?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#3 User is offline   inquiry 

• Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2012-July-22, 00:00

The 2 response shows a desire to go to at least 3 if partner has a weak hand in hearts. If responder is 1-2 or 2-1 in the majors, he has no desire to go beyond two of openers major, so he has to bid 2 with both of them.

As for the 5 hand. Shoot opener.

Here is the issue. 2 was correct bid. You are willing to go high in hearts with a fit, but you actually know partner has the big balanced hand when it goes pass pass pass to him (otherwise where it the points). So bidding 2 now also happily means he can declarer the hand.

When he bids 2NT over your 2, i assume you play both jacoby and texas. So 4 is not inviting him to do ANYTHING OTHER THAN BID 4. If you wanted to invite him to consider going beyond 4, you would have bid 3, then raised 3 to 4. There is no way that a person who has descibed his hand as 22-23 hcp can possibly have anything in his opening bid to make it right for him to over-ride the normal texas transfer bid. 4NT (WHAT EVER IT IS) is a total lack of partnership discipline.
--Ben--

#4 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-22, 14:41

I would like to upvote inquiry's post but the buttons are not there. They are on the other posts, just not Ben's one.

#5 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-22, 15:52

i'm guessing opener had never seen so many points before.

#6 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2012-July-22, 17:23

Opener is probably looking at AKQx and thinks responder won't make a move toward slam lacking the honors.
Even so, opener should let responder control the hand. There's no way for opener to know just what responder holds, so the 4 NT bid is insane.

I think inquiry's response makes perfect sense. I agree that any move by the big hand over 4 other than 4 is a gross breach of partnership trust.

#7 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-22, 17:27

View Postinquiry, on 2012-July-22, 00:00, said:

As for the 5 hand. Shoot opener.

Here is the issue. 2 was correct bid. You are willing to go high in hearts with a fit, but you actually know partner has the big balanced hand when it goes pass pass pass to him (otherwise where it the points). So bidding 2 now also happily means he can declarer the hand.

When he bids 2NT over your 2, i assume you play both jacoby and texas. So 4 is not inviting him to do ANYTHING OTHER THAN BID 4. If you wanted to invite him to consider going beyond 4, you would have bid 3, then raised 3 to 4. There is no way that a person who has descibed his hand as 22-23 hcp can possibly have anything in his opening bid to make it right for him to over-ride the normal texas transfer bid. 4NT (WHAT EVER IT IS) is a total lack of partnership discipline.

Agree 100% with this. And I like how, to really emphasise the point, inquiry has even capitalised the "HE" between square brackets (to make a symbol) in "ANYTHING OTHER THAN BID 4", where all his other suit symbols are lower-case :)

ahydra

#8 User is offline   the_clown 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-July-23, 03:03

2 is clear, it is obvious that partner has a strong no trump and I dont see any reason why I should declare myself. Playing texas 4 followed by 4 is a clear signoff (3-4 is a mild slam try).

#9 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-23, 10:43

Note, I am not a Multi player...

2 is a wimpy bid. 3 is my call on this hand, unless your multi weak-2s can be crappy 5-carders. Somebody has a 22-point hand, and if it's my LHO, 2 is going to get them to bid 2NT and they'll actually find which game they want. If it's partner, we'll have a nice texas auction to 4. If it's my RHO, then it won't be a 22-count; it'll be whatever is the "pass-and-double" hand, and 2 isn't going to be enough, especially as LHO's got something, too.

Having said that, I can do nothing but echo all the cheers for inquiry. 2-3; 3NT-4; 4 - wait, 4NT? what's that?
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#10 User is offline   keylime 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: FD TEAM
  • Interests:Motorsports, cricket, disc golf, and of course - bridge. :-)

Posted 2012-July-23, 10:53

I'd hand inquiry the firearm, in the form of a paintball gun loaded with ammo filled with stinkbomb smelling paint, to aim at the opener.
"Champions aren't made in gyms, champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. " - M. Ali

#11 User is offline   inquiry 

• Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2012-July-23, 10:56

View Postmycroft, on 2012-July-23, 10:43, said:

Note, I am not a Multi player...

2 is a wimpy bid. 3 is my call on this hand, unless your multi weak-2s can be crappy 5-carders. Somebody has a 22-point hand,

After 3 passes to your partner in 4th seat, which opponent do you think passed with a 22 point hand? Posted Image
--Ben--

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users