• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

pet peeve thread

#221 User is offline   Gerardo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-April-20, 03:51

View Postblackshoe, on 2012-April-19, 23:24, said:

An American is an inhabitant of the United States. A North American is an inhabitant of the United States, Canada, or (except, as I understand it, in Mexico) Mexico. Mexicans refer to Americans as Norte Americanos, ("North Americans").

So no, Canadians are not Americans.

American_(word)

#222 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-April-20, 04:02

Can't find blackshoe's post; anyway there are about two dozen countries in North America.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#223 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-20, 04:55

So to denote America as distinct from USA I could say something like:

Amerind and Na-dene are groups of American languages languages spoken in the Americas

It is a bit awkward that there is no adjective that really means "American", as opposed to narrowly "US-ian"
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#224 User is offline   Gerardo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-20, 05:02

View PostVampyr, on 2012-April-20, 04:02, said:

Can't find blackshoe's post; anyway there are about two dozen countries in North America.

It is on the RIP thread.

I answered here because it was off topic there, and on topic here.

#225 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2012-April-20, 06:33

View Postbillw55, on 2012-April-19, 08:45, said:

Speaking of traffic, what bugs me is when people refuse to take their proper turn at a four-way stop. I can't count how many times I have pulled up to the line last of the four directions, and had to go first because nobody would budge. No, don't wave me to go ahead of you, just take your own dang turn, it is better for everybody.

It's even more annoying when I am a car or two back and they are doing it up there. For the love of god somebody just go!

There are a fair number of things that people do, intending the best, that I would just as soon they wouldn't do. One is holding a door open. OK, if I am right there, fine. But people do it when I am a dozen steps or so back. I feel a bit of an obligation to pick up my pace so they are not stuck standing there like a doorman. Really I am not yet at the stage where I cannot open my own door. If I am laden down with stuff, of course it is different and I appreciate the help.

Another example is people who decide to help me remove my cards from the card holder by picking it up and shoving it toward me. Leave the thing on the table. I can get my cards out in one quick movement. It's really not a two person operation.

By the way, I have found the following useful in these traffic situations: Suppose I am arriving at a four way stop, and I see another guy arriving on the crossing street a little ahead of me. Of course he can move on through first but he might be one of these "Oh no, please, you go first" types. I stop a tad, maybe 4 feet, short of the usual stopping place. This seems to communicate. He goes through, I go through.
Ken

#226 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2012-April-20, 08:24

View Postkenberg, on 2012-April-20, 06:33, said:

By the way, I have found the following useful in these traffic situations: Suppose I am arriving at a four way stop, and I see another guy arriving on the crossing street a little ahead of me. Of course he can move on through first but he might be one of these "Oh no, please, you go first" types. I stop a tad, maybe 4 feet, short of the usual stopping place. This seems to communicate. He goes through, I go through.

I do this too, for the same reason, and it speeds things up here too. :)

Similarly, drivers here are often reluctant to pull onto a highway near my home when an approaching driver is signaling a right turn (I suppose the driver might really be planning to barrel right on through). If I move a bit closer to the right when approaching the intersection, though, it seems to reinforce the right-turn message and traffic moves more smoothly.
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#227 User is offline   lalldonn 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-20, 09:23

Interesting, I have a different strategy in those situations. If we are getting there at nearly the same time and I intend to let him through, I slow down a little early but keep rolling forward about a second after he stops. That seems to make it obvious that he has stopped first so he will go.
"What's the big rebid problem? After 1♦ - 1♠, I can rebid 1NT, 2♠, or 2♦."
- billw55

#228 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-20, 09:35

View Postlalldonn, on 2012-April-20, 09:23, said:

Interesting, I have a different strategy in those situations. If we are getting there at nearly the same time and I intend to let him through, I slow down a little early but keep rolling forward about a second after he stops. That seems to make it obvious that he has stopped first so he will go.

Good idea. I'm going to try it here.
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#229 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-April-20, 15:01

View PostVampyr, on 2012-April-20, 04:02, said:

Is it so hard to click on the grey arrow next to blackshoe's name?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#230 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-April-21, 22:49

View Postmgoetze, on 2012-April-20, 15:01, said:

Is it so hard to click on the grey arrow next to blackshoe's name?

I guess it must be. I do not know of a grey arrow. I saw a quote, couldn't find the quoted post. I managed, though.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#231 User is offline   onoway 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-08, 08:19

Outfits like Stumbleupon which email with a message, " it's been so long since you've visited us, please come back we'd love to see you again"; then when you click on the link you get an insistent message, "who are you? log in." I leave, but it's irritating, as clearly they already know exactly who I am and when I am on the site.

Also sites which demand you log into Facebook to make a comment. Don't do that either. Why is so much on the internet now under the direction of control freaks?

#232 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2012-May-08, 10:05

These things about Facebook have gotten completely out of hand. Recently my younger daughter posted a picture someone took of a small pond near where she grew up. She somehow (I don't know the techniques or the lingo) tagged the picture to me. Now when someone I don't know makes a comment about a picture taken by someone I don't know I get a message informing me of this.

Let me state for the record: Mostly I totally ignore any message arriving from either Facebook or LinkedIn about anything. My daughter, the one mentioned above, has taken down her Facebook page because she was spending too much time on it. My older daughter largely dropped it sometime back. I sense a rebellion brewing. I don't feel the need to have 437,603 close friends and I gather quite a few others are coming to the same conclusion.
Ken

#233 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2012-May-08, 10:26

View Postkenberg, on 2012-May-08, 10:05, said:

These things about Facebook have gotten completely out of hand. Recently my younger daughter posted a picture someone took of a small pond near where she grew up. She somehow (I don't know the techniques or the lingo) tagged the picture to me. Now when someone I don't know makes a comment about a picture taken by someone I don't know I get a message informing me of this.

Let me state for the record: Mostly I totally ignore any message arriving from either Facebook or LinkedIn about anything. My daughter, the one mentioned above, has taken down her Facebook page because she was spending too much time on it. My older daughter largely dropped it sometime back. I sense a rebellion brewing. I don't feel the need to have 437,603 close friends and I gather quite a few others are coming to the same conclusion.

Changing your notification settings is hard?
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#234 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2012-May-08, 12:55

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-08, 10:26, said:

Changing your notification settings is hard?

Probably not, but I don't know how to do it. I don't even know just what a notification is. I got these things saying I have a notification and I should click on something. I did it for a while, usually it was nothing of even peripheral interest if I could find it at all, now I usually ignore it. I have never missed anything of importance as far as I know (and I suppose that if it were important, I would by now know). We all have to choose what we want to look into.

I get friending requests from people whom I have never heard of. I have no idea why. I know from experience that it is possible (on LinkedIn anyway) to inadvertently send such a request. I once made some sort of error, I never discovered what, that sent requests to everyone in my address book. I had meant no such thing. It had happened as I was trying to deal with a friending request from someone on bbo who, it turned out, also had not meant to send the request to me. You don't, they tell me, have to be alive to vote in Chicago and I am thinking the same is true of friending on Facebook.

Anyway, for now, I just let it float by. I may deal with it someday but I can't see that I am under any obligation to do so.
Ken

#235 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-May-08, 14:44

People interchanging "affect" and "effect" at random e.g.

View Postphil_20686, on 2012-May-08, 07:08, said:

I am certain that this effects people in a less dramatic manner.

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#236 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-08, 16:35

View Postmgoetze, on 2012-May-08, 14:44, said:

People interchanging "affect" and "effect" at random e.g.

In the same vein, people interchanging "insure" and "ensure." I find split infinitives grating also, but am getting more tolerant with age.

#237 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2012-May-08, 18:49

These things rarely have any affect on me, I insure you.

Actually, I find I make many more mistakes of this sort when typing than I do when I am writing by hand. I rarely typed anything until the computer revolution, and it rattles my brain. I am getting better, much better, my wife just proofread something for me and some pages had no mistakes at all.
Ken

#238 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2012-May-09, 00:25

View PostPassedOut, on 2012-May-08, 16:35, said:

In the same vein, people interchanging "insure" and "ensure." I find split infinitives grating also, but am getting more tolerant with age.

And assure!
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#239 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-09, 07:39

View PostPassedOut, on 2012-May-08, 16:35, said:

In the same vein, people interchanging "insure" and "ensure."

If it can be a question on "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me"'s "What's the Difference?" round, I don't bemoan most people getting it wrong.

#240 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-May-10, 08:49

I have been getting a lot of spam texts lately, and this has me peeved.

• 57 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users