Page 1 of 1

Where to start?

#1 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2012-March-27, 18:42

Hi J.A.D, there are a couple of comments I wanted to make in response to your post in the thread, 'How and where are you learning" Rather than hijack that thread where I think you want to keep things as a discussion for N/B without the rest of the mob giving unecessary advice, I've started a new thread.

View PostJustaDummy, on 2012-March-20, 19:12, said:

Now, I have Bridge Baron 22, which is horrible in its own various ways. I also of course have Bridge Base Online, and I watch a lot, although a few worthies in these Bridge Base Forums have indicated that that is not a good idea.

Don't watch too much, jump in and play many, many, many hands. Pick a few bad hands to review using my hands. Compare your auction and play to a pair who scored well. If you can get the help of an expert to answer the occasional question or review a hand do so, most bridge players are happy to give their opinion :) Expert/Advanced Yellows who aren't playing or kibitzing a match are very helpful and don't mind answering a question or 2. And of course, post hands here. No question is too silly to post, there are many lurkers just waiting for someone to ask that "stupid" question.

View PostJustaDummy, on 2012-March-20, 19:12, said:

What software do you use, if you use any?

Bridge Mater Audrey Grant edition – when I started with it I couldn't see the benefit but I carried on going through the hands and now I realize what a powerful tool it is.

After you have tired of BM Audrey Grant you must add BM2000.

#2 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-27, 19:13

I maybe wrong of course but, i think you intended to reply in the topic he started but accidently created a totally new topic ?
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#3 User is offline   JustaDummy 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Too many. Really.

Posted 2012-March-27, 21:03

View Postjillybean, on 2012-March-27, 18:42, said:

Hi J.A.D, there are a couple of comments I wanted to make in response to your post in the thread, 'How and where are you learning" Rather than hijack that thread where I think you want to keep things as a discussion for N/B without the rest of the mob giving unecessary advice, I've started a new thread.

Thank you! I really don't know, but I think your advice would be welcomed by the other starters too. I'm sure (and hope) they'll find this thread.

Don't watch too much, jump in and play many, many, many hands. Pick a few bad hands to review using my hands.
This is what I mean by that - I absolutely did not know about that tool. But now that I do, I'm going to be all over it like a bad rash.

Bridge Mater Audrey Grant edition – when I started with it I couldn't see the benefit but I carried on going through the hands and now I realize what a powerful tool it is.

After you have tired of BM Audrey Grant you must add BM2000.

I have BM2000. Within the first ten hands I have learned more than I learned in all the years I played "social" bridge, 40 years ago. It's VERY intense, more so than his "Learn to Play Bridge", but it's all there.
A Seagull Consultant is an expert who flies in, eats all your food, craps all over you, and flies out again.

#4 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Overbidding

Posted 2012-March-27, 21:49

View PostJustaDummy, on 2012-March-27, 21:03, said:

I have BM2000. Within the first ten hands I have learned more than I learned in all the years I played "social" bridge, 40 years ago. It's VERY intense, more so than his "Learn to Play Bridge", but it's all there.

What's your experience like in identifying relevant positions at the table? Sometimes I struggle with the BM2000 hands because through to the start of level 4 (as far as I can get on my own), the positions are very 'pure' but when actually playing it's generally a mess. There is 'obviously' a skill to identifying your options effectively at the table, was wondering what people's success is with that

Also, if you ever catch me online, I'm always looking for people who will put up with my strange bidding :)

#5 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-27, 22:22

View Postjillybean, on 2012-March-27, 18:42, said:

Rather than hijack that thread where I think you want to keep things as a discussion for N/B without the rest of the mob giving unecessary advice, I've started a new thread.

Rather than being one of the mob giving unneccesary advice, and noticing that the monitor who determines unneccesary advice has already checked in, I will simply give a big + to what Jilly said in the OP.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#6 User is offline   sharon j 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:golf, boating, camping

Posted 2012-March-28, 10:31

"jump in and play many, many, many hands. Pick a few bad hands to review using my hands. Compare your auction and play to a pair who scored well."

I do this and in some cases it helps me see my mistakes as declarer. It is harder for me to see the correct line when the defense at my table is different than the other table's defense. I'm never sure to chalk it up to my bad play or my opponents's superior defense. :)

#7 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-March-28, 12:14

View Postsharon j, on 2012-March-28, 10:31, said:

"jump in and play many, many, many hands. Pick a few bad hands to review using my hands. Compare your auction and play to a pair who scored well."

I do this and in some cases it helps me see my mistakes as declarer. It is harder for me to see the correct line when the defense at my table is different than the other table's defense. I'm never sure to chalk it up to my bad play or my opponents's superior defense. :)

You can replay Vugraph matches. Then you compare with what top players did, plus most deals have the written commentary saved too.

On the web version teaching tables now have the option to hide hands for the host, so you get to play just like in normal conditions, without seeing opps hands.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users