BBO Discussion Forums: avoidable mistakes, signaling discussion part IV - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

avoidable mistakes, signaling discussion part IV back on topic

#1 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2012-February-17, 10:47

In part III, I wandered off into very complex plays because of a possible ending on the first puzzle hand, leading to a incredibly difficult second puzzle hand. Now we are back to simple hands. On some of these your or your partner should get the hand right -- even without signals you send to get. But the question is what signal do you send.

I know you didn't hold this hand, because you would have bid 2 over the double and might not have chosen the spade play at trick one.

If your partner had the KJxx(x) he should play the jack, as you didn't lead away from the A. This way he locates the Q right away. Of course, your attitude type 7 lead already would have told him that you lack the Q. Partner also might have QJxx(x), but you can place the T as PROBABLY being in declarer's hand.

What information do you want to share with your partner.

--Ben--

#2 User is offline   inquiry 

Posted 2012-February-17, 11:04

On this one you are playing standard carding

This is another one your partner might should get right, but since you know how the defense has to go, it is good to share that info with him. You are going to clutch to the Q unless south throws all his little hearts away... and..... what do you need to tell partner.

--Ben--

#3 User is offline   inquiry 

Posted 2012-February-17, 11:27

Here you are playing UDCA. You have shown your partner 3 by count, and are showing out on the 2nd round of spades anyway. What do you discard here. Has partner's carding helped, or is it clear?

--Ben--

#4 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-February-19, 07:50

Just so you know, it's not that these aren't interesting, they're just very difficult (IMO), so it takes me a long time to think about them.
On the first one, I think the most relevant detail I want to share is my heart length. Partner needs to know declarer has spade length and not heart length, so he knows which of the two suits to pitch. Even if partner is 5-4 in the majors (mine sometimes is), either declarer has AKQJ of hearts or I can guard them for partner so declarer can't make four heart tricks.

#5 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-19, 07:53

As for the second one, something doesn't add up. It seems declarer bid 7 possibly off an ace, unless 4NT was straight up blackwood. Also the bidding is completely off. Was 2 forcing? What does 3 mean?

#6 User is offline   inquiry 

Posted 2012-February-19, 10:34

View PostAntrax, on 2012-February-19, 07:53, said:

As for the second one, something doesn't add up. It seems declarer bid 7 possibly off an ace, unless 4NT was straight up blackwood. Also the bidding is completely off. Was 2 forcing? What does 3 mean?

Yes, sorry, my bad.. 5 was two aces. KEY CARDS.. 2 was a "strong" bid showing at least five hearts, and at least game forcing values.
--Ben--

#7 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-19, 10:45

Thanks. So declarer could conceivably have only three hearts, and his estimated HCP count is irrelevant for this. Right?

#8 User is offline   inquiry 

Posted 2012-February-19, 11:12

View PostAntrax, on 2012-February-19, 10:45, said:

Thanks. So declarer could conceivably have only three hearts, and his estimated HCP count is irrelevant for this. Right?

oh shoot... I rotated the hands so that south was declarer, but forgot to change the code so that the bidding started with north after I rotated the hands. So because of this it appeared as if north was declarer from auction, but his hand was exposed and the bidding made no sense and the play to the first three or so tricks didn't show up when you pressed the next button...

IT turns out, 5 was 2 key cards (north's hand) and during the play you quickly discover that declarer had six hearts as your partner shows out on the first round (trick 2). Sorry if this wasted much of your time on the bidding...
--Ben--

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users