• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rick Perry vs. Barack Obama The campaign has begun

#61 User is offline   luke warm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2011-August-23, 15:42

i'm not convinced that a lot of them actually believe their blather... call me cynical, but politicians do (and say) whatever it takes to get and stay elected... if there are exceptions, i don't know who they are
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#62 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2011-August-23, 15:49

Run, George, Run!
(Pataki, of course...)

#63 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2011-August-24, 07:44

View Postkenberg, on 2011-August-18, 10:51, said:

I'm really not up for abolishing the fed...

Nor am I. But that simply won't happen no matter who calls for it: the Fed is too tightly integrated with the whole financial system to be abolished now: Wall Street Aristocracy Got $1.2 Trillion in Fed’s Secret Loans

Two weeks after Lehman’s bankruptcy in September 2008, Morgan Stanley countered concerns that it might be next to go by announcing it had “strong capital and liquidity positions.” The statement, in a Sept. 29, 2008, press release about a $9 billion investment from Tokyo-based Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group Inc., said nothing about Morgan Stanley’s Fed loans.

That was the same day as the firm’s $107.3 billion peak in borrowing from the central bank, which was the source of almost all of Morgan Stanley’s available cash, according to the lending data and documents released more than two years later by the Financial Crisis Inquiry Commission. The amount was almost three times the company’s total profits over the past decade, data compiled by Bloomberg show.

Mark Lake, a spokesman for New York-based Morgan Stanley, said the crisis caused the industry to “fundamentally re-evaluate” the way it manages its cash.

The usual lessons apply: If you are going to be irresponsible with money, don't do it in a small way -- you will lose your home; instead do it in a massive way -- you will lose nothing.

One of my brothers, who is at Morgan Stanley, told me this summer that he has qualms about that whole situation (although he doesn't classify it as negatively as I do). And, despite his qualms, he's not planning to leave the company.
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#64 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-24, 11:26

Absolute power is said to corrupt absolutes. Big bucks does a pretty good job of it also.
Ken

#65 User is offline   matmat 

• ded
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-25, 08:18

View Postkenberg, on 2011-August-24, 11:26, said:

Absolute power is said to corrupt absolutes. Big bucks does a pretty good job of it also.

Absolute power corrupts.
Money is power.

Therefore...

:)

also:
Time is money...

#66 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2011-August-26, 07:58

I think the only hope of progressives for the inevitable President Perry landslide win is to start early to establish some urban legends about him.

For example, did you know he was born in a manger in Bethlehem?
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#67 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2011-August-26, 11:09

So he's not a native born American!
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#68 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2011-August-26, 12:10

View Postblackshoe, on 2011-August-26, 11:09, said:

So he's not a native born American!

Exactly! Bethlehem is the new Kenya.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#69 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2011-August-26, 12:15

Does this really qualify as a signature? http://en.wikipedia....y_signature.svg

#70 User is offline   luke warm 

Posted 2011-August-26, 15:29

i must be way behind the times, i just found out yesterday that cursive writing is optional for elementary school teachers (as long as their leap test scores aren't affected)
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#71 User is offline   Elianna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-26, 19:33

View Postluke warm, on 2011-August-26, 15:29, said:

i must be way behind the times, i just found out yesterday that cursive writing is optional for elementary school teachers (as long as their leap test scores aren't affected)

Since cursive isn't a state-mandated testing subject, it isn't taught anymore. Don't you love the educational testing regime?
My addiction to Mario Bros #3 has come back!

#72 User is offline   jdeegan 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Economics
    Finance
    Bridge bidding theory
    Cooking
    Downhill skiing

Posted 2011-August-27, 06:02

View Postjonottawa, on 2011-August-21, 00:25, said:

U mad, bro? Anyway, this is off-topic so I'll just summarize with this and give you the last word if you want it.

"Iraq, despite the brutality of Saddam Hussein, was a prosperous country with a highly educated middle class before the war. Its infrastructure was modern and efficient. Iraqis enjoyed a high standard of living. The country did not lack modern conveniences. Things worked. And being in Iraq, as I often was when I covered the Middle East for The New York Times, while unnerving because of state repression, was never a hardship. Since our occupation the country has tumbled into dysfunction. Factories, hospitals, power plants, phone service, sewage systems and electrical grids do not work. Iraqis, if they are lucky, get three hours of electricity a day. Try this in 110-degree heat. Poverty is endemic. More than a million Iraqi civilians have been killed. Nearly 5 million have been displaced from their homes or are refugees. The Mercer Quality of Living survey last year ranked Baghdad last among cities-the least livable on the planet. Iraq, which once controlled its own oil, has been forced to turn its oil concessions over to foreign corporations. That is what we have bequeathed to Iraq-violence, misery and theft."

:P Gosh Jon, I can't imagine why that Saddam Hussain follow decided on an unprevoked invasion of Iran in 1980. My Iraqi friends at the time weren't talking, for sure. Perhaps it had something to do with that German or that Italian guy and how that 1870's European experience was later interpreted by a miserable Christian Syrian. Old Saddam ended up messing with the day to day life of the rich countries in the world. The misery he brought down on his own people might have been less in perfect world if the good old USA had behaved differently, but you know about port-mortems.

#73 User is offline   luke warm 

Posted 2011-August-27, 07:46

View PostElianna, on 2011-August-26, 19:33, said:

Since cursive isn't a state-mandated testing subject, it isn't taught anymore. Don't you love the educational testing regime?

absolutely... i read somewhere that from 1967 on there was a steady downward curve in act and sat scores...

#74 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2011-August-27, 08:16

View Postluke warm, on 2011-August-27, 07:46, said:

absolutely... i read somewhere that from 1967 on there was a steady downward curve in act and sat scores...

Sure, but who can trust data?

#75 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2011-August-27, 08:33

View Postluke warm, on 2011-August-27, 07:46, said:

There are all kinds of explanations for this, one of which is that "in the old days" only top high school students expected to go to college and therefore took those tests, whereas today all except the bottom high school students do, so we're not comparing apples to apples.

#76 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2011-August-27, 16:42

View PostBbradley62, on 2011-August-27, 08:33, said:

There are all kinds of explanations for this, one of which is that "in the old days" only top high school students expected to go to college and therefore took those tests, whereas today all except the bottom high school students do, so we're not comparing apples to apples.

In other words, supply-side testing. No wonder data are ignored. :P

#77 User is offline   Foxx 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Being quick, brown, and foxy; Jumping over lazy dogs

Posted 2011-August-27, 18:00

View PostElianna, on 2011-August-26, 19:33, said:

I feel old.

#78 User is offline   Lobowolf 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Attorney, writer, entertainer.<br><br>Great close-up magicians we have known: Shoot Ogawa, Whit Haydn, Bill Malone, David Williamson, Dai Vernon, Michael Skinner, Jay Sankey, Brian Gillis, Eddie Fechter, Simon Lovell, Carl Andrews.

Posted 2011-August-30, 17:43

Is printing a state-mandated testing subject?
1. LSAT tutor for rent.

Call me Desdinova...Eternal Light

C. It's the nexus of the crisis and the origin of storms.

IV: ace 333: pot should be game, idk

e: "Maybe God remembered how cute you were as a carrot."

#79 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-31, 07:00

When I was reading enlightenment philosophy, they stressed the importance of universal education in a democracy, as a better educated population could be trusted to make better decisions. At some point the idea entered our culture that "Everyone has a right to their opinion". A liberal education (in the old sense) stands opposed to this, because the most important thing it teaches you is that some people really do think much better than others. A well educated man does not form an opinion by going to the source material and assuming he will be able to figure it all out, he finds the opinions of experts and when the experts disagree he finds enough experts to form a consensus, and failing that he muddles through as best he can.

The problem is, it has become ok for politicians, as the mouthpieces for democracy, to put forward their own ideas on an equal footing. As if their opinion is equal. It would be much better, and more honest, for politicians to admit that they do not actually understand what is going on, and so they are seeking expert advice/consensus. In fact the opposite is happening, politicians are advancing their own ideas and assuming that because people voted for them, they must be right. A dangerous state of affairs.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#80 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2011-August-31, 07:24

View PostLobowolf, on 2011-August-30, 17:43, said:

Is printing a state-mandated testing subject?

The answer is (effectively) yes

Back when I was taking standardized tests there was (often) a written component
You were not allowed to use cursive
Alderaan delenda est

• 34 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

6 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users